Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,731  
Why were wooden bridges covered?
The purpose of the covering is to protect the wooden structural members from the weather. Uncovered wooden bridges typically have a lifespan of only 20 years because of the effects of rain and sun, but a covered bridge could last over 100 years. In the United States, only about 1 in 10 survived the 20th century

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,732  
Philosopher Albert Camus died in a car crass driven by Michel Gallimard. The car was a Facel Vega

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,733  
He same way you hand prop an old airplane. 4 fingers on the back edge of the prop, thumb riding on the surface. If the engine starts too quick and your thumb is on the sharp edge of the prop, you might have to go looking for it.
I've only hand propped a few in my early life. At the time, it was fascinating.

Now if you want to talk about props in general.... I almost got killed by a pilot in a Cessna Cheyenne that decided to rev his engines on ice after I signaled him to stop. His braked tires didn't hold, he skidded forward rapidly, and I had to dive to the side. Props missed my legs by a too close for comfort margin. I got up and walked away to the office. That was the closest I came to injury at my 6 or so years at the airport. The pilot apologized.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,734  
Why were wooden bridges covered?
The purpose of the covering is to protect the wooden structural members from the weather. Uncovered wooden bridges typically have a lifespan of only 20 years because of the effects of rain and sun, but a covered bridge could last over 100 years. In the United States, only about 1 in 10 survived the 20th century
Parke County, Indiana bills itself as the covered bridge capital of the world.[1] Combined with six counties that surround it, there are 51 of Indiana’s 98 covered bridges in this small area: Parke County (32), Putnam County (9), Fountain County (3), Vermillion County (3), Montgomery County (2), Owen County (1) and Vigo County (1). The majority, 54, are Burr Arch truss designs, while the next most common truss style is a Howe truss with 23

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,736  
Vermont is home to more than 100 covered bridges, boasting more covered bridges per square mile than any other U.S state.
You guys seem to be tourism oriented and really enhance that image. Nothing says 'Rural New England" like a quaint covered bridge.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,737  
You guys seem to be tourism oriented and really enhance that image. Nothing says 'Rural New England" like a quaint covered bridge.
We have two covered bridges, one withing walking distance and one on the other side of town. In MA we had a few.
The Vermont ones had some stunning backgrounds.
Would love to see the Indiana ones.
The engineering that went into these and the survive ability is just amazing as we have cement and metal bridges that don't last as long.

And of course it's haunted :cool:

We also have bridges called Camel Backs over the canals, some have been restored.
We did lose one down the road last year and it got replaces with a metal/cement one.

This one is a little north of Drew.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,738  
We have two covered bridges, one withing walking distance and one on the other side of town. In MA we had a few.
The Vermont ones had some stunning backgrounds.
Would love to see the Indiana ones.
The engineering that went into these and the survive ability is just amazing as we have cement and metal bridges that don't last as long.

And of course it's haunted :cool:

We also have bridges called Camel Backs over the canals, some have been restored.
We did lose one down the road last year and it got replaces with a metal/cement one.

This one is a little north of Drew.
Having grown up in kenmbz's neighborhood, one close family member was literally almost his next-door neighbor, I can tell you one of those covered bridges is supposedly very haunted. We used to have a lot of fun with that one, 30 years ago. :D

I know the Van Sant's well, in fact related by marriage, and our property once backed up to theirs.

Still waiting to hear which house Brad Cooper bought. ;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,739  
It seems like a lot of haunted bridges around here anyways are high school kids being, well; high school kids.
A coworker told of raising himself up for an oncoming car, then letting himself drop. He almost became a ghost himself when his hands slipped.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,740  
I had a 400cc Suzuki 1 cylinder for my first bike. Kick start only.

The only way it could be spun over is using the compression release lever.

If you neglected to hit the compression release, you would get tossed over the handle bars

I won many bets and got endless entertainment from watching someone try to start that bike
A SR 500 Yamaha is like that. Less someone picks the whole bike up in to a flatbed, I have no fear of it being stolen, even with the keys left in. :)