Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,721  
I was taught to get the crank to 6 o'clock, open hand with thumb in line with your fingers and pull up hard and fast. If you push down from 12 o'clock be prepared to get clocked in the forearm with the crank.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,722  
I don't crank start anything but am curious how you crank it and not have a thumb on the crank?
This young lady is NOT demonstrating safe cranking form which is evident when you carefully study the placement of her hand on the crank.

The gentleman in the older image is demonstrating proper form to safely crank start.
5121F102-EB79-4BB8-B1E6-ABCF9DCFD4B7.jpeg
31DA0807-4531-4B38-9ECE-BF17A2D363D7.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,723  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,724  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,725  
I was taught to get the crank to 6 o'clock, open hand with thumb in line with your fingers and pull up hard and fast. If you push down from 12 o'clock be prepared to get clocked in the forearm with the crank.
The push down from 12 worked for me for many years starting an AC WD45 and never got clocked in the forearm with the crank, I was about 10 or 11 when I had to start getting that tractor started. Didn't take long to learn why we looked for safe hills to park it on when we could much nicer to coast it and start it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,726  
I was taught to plow snow the same way you crank an engine; thumb tucked up in case you hit a solid object.
The only thing I ever hand cranked was a 9N Ford, when the battery was dead.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,727  
Ahh, I didn't even see the car in her picture. 😉
Who says brass era Model T Speedsters can’t be sexy?

With a little one on one instruction and an eager beaver attitude she would quickly become expert in cranking proficiency… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,728  
This young lady is NOT demonstrating safe cranking form which is evident when you carefully study the placement of her hand on the crank.

The gentleman in the older image is demonstrating proper form to safely crank start.View attachment 840087View attachment 840088
That young lady has started my engine just fine.....;-)

My Fordson E27n is of the hand crank variety.
A couple of slow spins with the ignition off to pull fuel in through the manifold. Pull just through compression at 6 o'clock. Then give a good upward clockwise lift with a half open palm. She light right up.
I've fitted a WICO magneto to replace that devil's spawn that Lucas offered. But in doing so, I lost the mechanical ignition timing ****** function. With the ignition set back on the Lucas mag, there was NEVER any worry about kick back.

I can only wish such a feature could have been part of my 1966 BSA 441 Victor "energy Transfer" ignition. Starting that bike was as near as a normal person can get to a space launch. Broke my right foot, and tore the leather of a new pair of shoes. OUCH!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,729  
That young lady has started my engine just fine.....;-)

My Fordson E27n is of the hand crank variety.
A couple of slow spins with the ignition off to pull fuel in through the manifold. Pull just through compression at 6 o'clock. Then give a good upward clockwise lift with a half open palm. She light right up.
I've fitted a WICO magneto to replace that devil's spawn that Lucas offered. But in doing so, I lost the mechanical ignition timing ****** function. With the ignition set back on the Lucas mag, there was NEVER any worry about kick back.

I can only wish such a feature could have been part of my 1966 BSA 441 Victor "energy Transfer" ignition. Starting that bike was as near as a normal person can get to a space launch. Broke my right foot, and tore the leather of a new pair of shoes. OUCH!
Brother had a 400 Yamaha single cylinder stored at friends that were moving so he asked me to pick it up as he was out of state working.

Had on sneakers and gave it a kick and I thought I broke my foot… it was like a sledge hammer blow and for months I could still feel it…

Guess no Product Safety Commission back then?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,730