Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#6,711  
I often wonder about a certain size of a country, often when reading history. You can just about compare the size of any country to any state. For example Germany is about half the size of Texas.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,712  
The African continent is very large.

It seems absurd that so many of it's inhabitants want to leave.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,713  
Talking old - I can remember WW2. My mother was always concerned and my father was assigned to duties at Ft Dietrich. I can remember when we were all together as a family again.

I can remember riding in my dads 1934 Ford convertible. I got to ride in the rumble seat. It's what we would call the trunk now-a-days.

I was just thing the other day about the changes in my life. I can remember my dad gettin his hand cut on the license place when the ford kicked back. I think it was a T but may have been an A. Recall the Peral Harbor announcemtn. Getting the 'electric' via the REA (?1947?) To seeing men walk on the moon, etc.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,714  
I was just thing the other day about the changes in my life. I can remember my dad gettin his hand cut on the license place when the ford kicked back. I think it was a T but may have been an A. Recall the Peral Harbor announcemtn. Getting the 'electric' via the REA (?1947?) To seeing men walk on the moon, etc.
Yes, that is quite the span of history!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,715  
Brother messed up his thumb a little yesterday crank starting the 1948 Cub.

Thumb around crank scares me when I see it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,716  

I still have the Maytag washing machine engine my great-grandparents used to power one of their earliest washing machines, and the thing will kick back hard enough to throw a teenager off their feet, if you catch it just wrong. I've never started a 4-cylinder engine with a hand crank, but imagine it can be even more perilous than that little Maytag.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,717  
I still have the Maytag washing machine engine my great-grandparents used to power one of their earliest washing machines, and the thing will kick back hard enough to throw a teenager off their feet, if you catch it just wrong. I've never started a 4-cylinder engine with a hand crank, but imagine it can be even more perilous than that little Maytag.
I had a 400cc Suzuki 1 cylinder for my first bike. Kick start only.

The only way it could be spun over is using the compression release lever.

If you neglected to hit the compression release, you would get tossed over the handle bars

I won many bets and got endless entertainment from watching someone try to start that bike

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,718  

I don't crank start anything but am curious how you crank it and not have a thumb on the crank?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,719  
I don't crank start anything but am curious how you crank it and not have a thumb on the crank?
He same way you hand prop an old airplane. 4 fingers on the back edge of the prop, thumb riding on the surface. If the engine starts too quick and your thumb is on the sharp edge of the prop, you might have to go looking for it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,720  
I was taught to roll the engine over and bring the crank to just past 12 o'clock looking at the tractor. Then with an open hand with the thumb tucked into your hand give it a vigorous push downward to 6 o'clock. Repeat till she started. Almost the same as driving the older tractors always used your palm never wrap your hand and thumb around the wheel, hit a rock or and that wheel would have enough push back to spin if your thumb was in the way of the spokes you were going to be hurting.