Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,561  

Military Service of Russel Johnson... aka the Professor...

Edit... It seems a common trait of those that served in WWII to get on with civilian life and have a reluctance to dwell in the past unless directly asked... at least those I know would often dismiss saying it's something they hope no one ever again has to experience...

I understand why the term The Greatest Generation is often used.

My father received his WWII recognition but never as in not once said he was a WWII vet...

In his hospital bed I asked him and he said the men in the trenches in Germany and the Jungles of the Pacific are true vets... not someone that came in as things were winding down...

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,562  

Military Service of Russel Johnson... aka the Professor...

Edit... It seems a common trait of those that served in WWII to get on with civilian life and have a reluctance to dwell in the past unless directly asked... at least those I know would often dismiss saying it's something they hope no one ever again has to experience...

I understand why the term The Greatest Generation is often used.

My father received his WWII recognition but never as in not once said he was a WWII vet...

In his hospital bed I asked him and he said the men in the trenches in Germany and the Jungles of the Pacific are true vets... not someone that came in as things were winding down...
That sounds very similar as to how my father dealt with it.

Thanks for the Russel Johnson info. (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,563  

Guinness World Record Steam Tractor: 150 Case Built from Scratch after 113 Years​

The 150 weighs 37.5 tons. Each wheel is 8 feet in diameter and weighs over 3 tons. The volunteers installed over 1,000 ¾-inch hot rivets for them.

In all, the tractor is 25 feet long, 14 feet wide and stands 14 feet tall. The bunkers have a capacity for 3 tons of coal, and the water tank will hold 600 gallons of water. The engine burns both wood and coal to maintain an operating pressure of 180 psi of steam.

Its largest pull to date came in 2022 when it hauled 50 Deere plows all connected together, along with an operator at each plow. Anderson says you couldn’t tell anything was behind the 150 because of its power. It has a top speed of 5.69 mph and delivers 5,000 foot-pounds of torque.

1702267943582.png

Guinness World Record: 150 Case Steam Tractor Built from Scratch

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,564  

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,565  

Guinness World Record Steam Tractor: 150 Case Built from Scratch after 113 Years​

The 150 weighs 37.5 tons. Each wheel is 8 feet in diameter and weighs over 3 tons. The volunteers installed over 1,000 ¾-inch hot rivets for them.

In all, the tractor is 25 feet long, 14 feet wide and stands 14 feet tall. The bunkers have a capacity for 3 tons of coal, and the water tank will hold 600 gallons of water. The engine burns both wood and coal to maintain an operating pressure of 180 psi of steam.

Its largest pull to date came in 2022 when it hauled 50 Deere plows all connected together, along with an operator at each plow. Anderson says you couldn’t tell anything was behind the 150 because of its power. It has a top speed of 5.69 mph and delivers 5,000 foot-pounds of torque.

View attachment 837485
Guinness World Record: 150 Case Steam Tractor Built from Scratch

That is so cool. But if it can pull 50 Deere plows with 50 operators, without even knowing they're there, for what purpose was this thing actually built?

BTW, 5000 ft-lb of torque applied to an 8 ft. diameter wheel is only 1250 lb. of forward pull. Doesn't seem like a whole lot. Perhaps they're talking engine torque, and not rear wheel?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,566  
In its day, the 150 was about three times larger than other steam tractors. The J.I. Case Company built nine of the Road Locomotives between 1905 and 1907. They were designed to fill in gaps on the railroad by hauling heavy freight over road. A copper mine in New Mexico was the first customer.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,568  
One more for those interested...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,569  
It always seems odd when a foreign word is the same as an English word, but with a totally unrelated meaning.

1702358698724.png

Bruce