Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,421  
Okay, here's one. Most people know by now that typical mini bulb light strings have bulbs rated 2.5 volts, arranged in series clusters of 50 bulbs, for a nominal 125 volt rating. What's less obvious to most when purchasing replacement bulbs is that not all 2.5 volt bulbs are the same, they are commonly made and sold in 100, 170, or 200 mA ratings, corresponding to 0.25, 0.43 and 0.50 watts per bulb.

The trouble with this is that, with the way they're series connected, using one bulb rated differently than the rest can really overtax that bulb, to the point of very quick failure. Take an older string populated with 200 mA bulbs, and pop a modern 100 mA bulb into it, and that bulb is going to dissipate nearly 4x its intended wattage, by I^2*R. It's counter-intuitive to most, that the sole "0.25 watt" bulb in the string is nearly 4x brighter than the "0.50 watt" bulbs that make up the rest of the string, it's just a result of all bulbs on the string operating at the same current.

If you've ever bought 2.5 volt bulbs, and noticed the replacements are way brighter or dimmer than the rest of the string, look for the current ratings. In most cases, a 100 mA bulb on a string otherwise populated with 200 mA bulbs will blow immediately, whereas being just one size off (100 vs. 170 or 170 vs. 200 mA) will usually just result in bring too dim or bright, depending on direction of the shift.

Sadly, most strings don't tell you which current bulb to use. But knowing that 2.5 volt bulbs are arranged in clusters of 50, simply divide the total string current (always listed) by N/50, where N is total string bulb count. In other words, a 150 bulb string rated 0.5 amps has three clusters each pulling 170 mA. If you shop bulk bulbs on Amazon or elsewhere, you will see they commonly list 100, 170, or 200 mA flavors.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,422  
Auto updates is the first thing I disable in a new PC. Update available is prefered, then update when I'm ready not in the middle of something important.
How many users here do not turn their PC off?
Mine's on 24-365, but I reboot about once a week.
I think I built it and started using it in 2008.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,423  
The world's smallest mammal is a bat:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,424  
The P-51 and the F-16 designs are only around 30 years apart, and the F-16 is now about a 50 year old design.

View attachment 833771

Bruce

Some history on the P51. The oiginal was a camel back, i.e., fuselage sloped from the top of the pilot cabin back to the tail. The original engine was an American design (as was the P51) but the fighter was pretty much not up toexpectations. It wasn't until the British replaced the enging with a Rolls Royce Merlin that it became the outstanding fighter/ground attack of the war. I don't know if it was us or the British that put the bubble top on the cabin.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,425  
Some history on the P51. The oiginal was a camel back, i.e., fuselage sloped from the top of the pilot cabin back to the tail. The original engine was an American design (as was the P51) but the fighter was pretty much not up toexpectations. It wasn't until the British replaced the enging with a Rolls Royce Merlin that it became the outstanding fighter/ground attack of the war. I don't know if it was us or the British that put the bubble top on the cabin.
I believe the original engine was an Allison, the same engine that was in the P38...but it didn't have the high altitude capabilities they wanted. You're right about the RR engine; I think the first P38's went to the British.

Turned out that the U.S. told the British that Lend-Lease worked both ways, so they sent all of the diagrams and engine specs to the U.S. where the engines (Merlins I think) were made by Packard. Turns out that we even ended up shipping engines to the British; however they didn't put anything in the Spitfire except British made RR engines. I've seen a few P38s at airshows, and there was one locally that used to fly over the house occasionally. There is nothing that sounds like the growl of a Merlin.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,426  
68B38E1D-32D2-4D32-9526-B63ED5444F15.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,428  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,430  
The Spruce Goose was the largest wooden airplane ever made. It had a wingspan of 385 feet and weighed 300,000 pounds empty. Loaded with fuel and 400 troops at take off it weighed 400,000 pounds.
It's one and only flight was 30 seconds long at 25 ft for 1/2 mile in 1947