Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,251  
832C58C6-E4E7-4F00-B121-A3F3BB581877.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,252  
Loretto Church in Santa Fe has a free standing spiral staircase. It attached at the top and the floor but that’s it. We visited about 4 years ago and I got these pictures. They tout it as miraculous staircase and I’d say it’s some great carpentry skill also.
View attachment 831304View attachment 831305View attachment 831306
I think the stair railings were not part of the original design and construction and added at a later date.

I believe the chapel was sold to Private ownership and now has visitors coming from across the globe as some have called it a miraculous feat…

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,253  
When we visited I remember the guide saying the church needed stairs and a carpenter shows up, builds them then leaves without accepting pay.
It's beautiful.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,254  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,255  
What was the name of that book?
After searching last night and reading reviews and excerpts, I now feel nearly certain this is the book. The names and situations are just too familiar and the more I read the words, the clearer other things become.
It also makes sense in that it was a Canadian young adult literary award winner from the right timeline and makes sense my savvy English teacher would be aware of it.

Eagle1--I have searched for this book for many decades and through you and TBN am near certain this is it. What made you think of this book and title from my basic description? What are the odds?

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,257  
I would still take a processed and tested 1 3/4 by 3 3/4 (modern 2x4) over a roughs cut ''real'' 2x4

I tore down an old schoolhouse that was on my property with the idea of using the stuids for an 18x30" addition. I spent one whole day sorting the rough cut 2x4s to come up with enough matching ones to make ONE 18' wall. Went to town for a load of finish studs. I did use the rouigh cut 2x6 for floor joists but I had to trim or shim the nnds of all of them to make a level floor.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,258  
I tore down an old schoolhouse that was on my property with the idea of using the stuids for an 18x30" addition. I spent one whole day sorting the rough cut 2x4s to come up with enough matching ones to make ONE 18' wall. Went to town for a load of finish studs. I did use the rouigh cut 2x6 for floor joists but I had to trim or shim the nnds of all of them to make a level floor.
yeah they are no fun to work with... but in my statement I was more talking about strength or proven strength or confidences in its strength.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,259  
A friend of ours in Ohio was modernizing 100+ year old farmhouse. All the studs were oak or some other hardwood.They couldn’t screw or nail drywall into the old studs.They had to pre drill every fastener.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,260  
Reminds me of laying a pine floor in a friend's early 1700 cottage. You had to measure each corner of the floorboards to account for the wiggles in the vertical walls. It was slow, but the result was gorgeous.

I love old wood, but is not an interchangeable part.

All the best,

Peter