Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,241  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,242  
I seem to recall a lot of 2x4s that measured out at 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 when I was young.
I think you may be right. Standardization happened in the 1940's, I know for sure that I was correct on that. But I should not have said they standardized on the current sizing at that time. I think the original standard may have been 1/4" under nominal, and then changed later to the current numbers.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#6,243  
Loretto Church in Santa Fe has a free standing spiral staircase. It attached at the top and the floor but that’s it. We visited about 4 years ago and I got these pictures. They tout it as miraculous staircase and I’d say it’s some great carpentry skill also.
IMG_1611.jpeg
IMG_1612.jpeg
IMG_1613.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,244  
I think you may be right. Standardization happened in the 1940's, I know for sure that I was correct on that. But I should not have said they standardized on the current sizing at that time. I think the original standard may have been 1/4" under nominal, and then changed later to the current numbers.

Here's a interesting link: 2x4 Lumber Sizes - The History Behind The Mystery - The Working Forest
1699567424900.png

In this case they're not contrasting the ring width like the previous, but just the 2x4 size.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,246  
I looked into it and don't think that's the book. It's been a very long time so am going to look into it further . Thank you.
The names of the characters and name of book and author do seem familiar.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,247  
Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,249  
Northland Castaways by Burton L. Spiller?
What happens to two American boys stranded in the Canadian North Woods, without any shelter, food, matches, compass, or maps, and with Scout knives as their only equipment? Can they hope to be sighted by any plane searching for two small figures in the vast area of lonely lakes and forests? Can the boys survive until rescuers find them? Or can they make their way through a hundred miles or more of untamed wilderness, back to civilization?

This is the great adventure that comes to fourteen-year-old Ronald Carson and his cousin Dick, who is a year younger. The boys are flying up from the States to spend the summer with Ronald's father, an engineer at a mining camp in the northern wilds of the province of Quebec. Their amphibian plane is forced down by motor trouble on a small lake in desolate country. The pilot repairs the engine and takes the plane aloft to test it, only to crash into the lake. Alone on the lake shore, with night only a few hours away, the boys are faced with the stark realization that only by their own resourcefulness can they keep themselves alive now. They try, awkwardly at first, to put their book-learned woodcraft to this survival test. Their experiences, as they struggle against great odds and all forces of nature, make an absorbing story, full of suspense and interest.

The Bulletin of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, 1958

reply | flag

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,250  
Finally a word that describes todays political society.

INEPTOCRACY -

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy)- a system of government where the least capable to lead, are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.