Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,061  
Yes. When did "buffeting" become such an issue? It's even mentioned in my '19 Jeep Owners Manual. I hate having to play with the window openings, to lessen the effect. As usual, I'm sure I'm in the minority of owners that prefer an open window and fresh air, to A/C (unless it's 95 degrees and/or raining). As I drive around on a nice day, windows down, I see most everyone else has their windows up and A/C on. (n)
Count me in on the windows down. (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,062  
The "gun" type is basically primitive and very inefficient but it's reliable because it's pretty easy to smash two chunks of metal together and all they had to do was make sure each chunk was slightly smaller than critical mass.
The implosion type requires very carefully organized and timed explosives; the slightest bit off and you don't get a complete mash-up and end up with a "fizzle". Done right, though, you can use just enough fissile material, and you can make more bombs with the same stuff.
I believe "little Boy", the "gun" type, dropped on Hiroshima, was a Uranium bomb...and the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, "Fat Man", was an implosion type Plutonium bomb.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,063  
I'm sure I'm in the minority of owners that prefer an open window and fresh air, to A/C (unless it's 95 degrees and/or raining). As I drive around on a nice day, windows down, I see most everyone else has their windows up and A/C on. (n)
Well, I'm another one. Greatly prefer fresh air to A/C. Then again, I live where it rarely gets hot enough to need it.
I live in and work on old houses in southeastern PA (present one is 1734, oldest prior was 1692, many in-between), and have noticed a typical 4:1 up to 8:1 ratio of growth ring counts between locally-sourced softwoods of same species. Trees growing in the shade of an existing forest put on much less summer growth each season, represented by the light areas between the dark stripes that are winter growth.
My house is plank construction, built in the 1830s. The planks that make up the walls are 24+" wide by 4+" thick. I would imagine they were sourced locally. Trees that would make lumber that size don't exist here anymore.
I have to shake my head when my insurance company calculates replacement cost for this house. You couldn't build it today!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,064  
My house is plank construction, built in the 1830s. The planks that make up the walls are 24+" wide by 4+" thick. I would imagine they were sourced locally. Trees that would make lumber that size don't exist here anymore.
I have to shake my head when my insurance company calculates replacement cost for this house. You couldn't build it today!
I'm no historian on New Hampshire, but I'm honestly surprised you have such wood in your house, if it was built as late as 1830. I had thought most of New England was completely deforested before that time, due to the massive demand for wood, for industry, cooking, and heating. The average household used something like 30 - 40 cords per year in that period, and if you look at any landscape artwork of that time, you'd be amazed at how few trees you can find.

Railroads were just first becoming a "thing" in New England in the 1830's, so your house is too early to cheaply move timber in from afar, by railroad. Was the area where your house stands well outside of town, perhaps relatively remote, in 1830?

My house was built in four phases, 1734, 1775, 1894, and 1995. The first two portions use wood that was sourced either from the property itself, or milled locally. The longer joists (under first floor) are hand-hewn, and many are flattened Walnut or Oak tree trunks. The joists supporting the second and third floors are shorter, and were milled on an early sawmill (reciprocating style). We can roughly estimate the capacity of the first sawmill in our area, by seeing which joists in our house were milled versus hand-hewn.

The original walls in this house were planked in Walnut, and those 1775 planked walls are still hiding behind the "modern" plaster and lathe walls installed during a massive update ca.1820. Anyone walking through this house would date it to 1820-1840, as the generation living here at that time did so much updating and renovation as to almost completely bury it's 1700's roots. Just like anyone today updating their house from the 1970's, they wanted to hide the old and make it look new.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,065  
About a mile from our home was an abandoned 2 story home, fairly large, I'm guessing 2500 sq.ft. Very strange basically square with a flat roof. We had permission to go in that home anytime, wife & I belong to a paranormal group, the house was very haunted. House built in 1900 but I noticed logs beneath broken plaster in dining room. I spoke with the last surviving lady who lived there years ago and it was built over an old log slave cabin. Very weird house, now demolished, I don't know where the ghosts went!
Happy Halloween!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,066  
Who knows what the worlds largest use for cow hide is?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,070  
Collagen?

Bruce