Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,001  
Not too far from where I am from there is a population of white moose (not albino), its worth the read.

1697919464367.png

1697919478509.png

Attachments

• 1697919368784.png
    1697919368784.png
    317 KB · Views: 40
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,002  
   / Tell us something we don’t know.
#6,004  
"A compression ignition engine..." aka a diesel, running on JetA?

Cool plane. I flew on a, and have a soft spot for, the de Haviland twin otter for many years, another STOL wonder.

All the best,

Peter
Diesel, kerosene and jet fuel are similar. I’m no pilot but have flown in smaller planes. Weight is very critical and diesel engines aren’t known for being light weight. I don’t see diesels getting big in aviation.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,005  
GE sold the appliance business to Haier back in 2016. I believe it was the first and maybe only time they also sold the GE name. GE hasn't made appliances or light bulbs in years.
If it says GE on the bulb how can it not be GE.esprcialky if the name went with the sale?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,006  
If it says GE on the bulb how can it not be GE.esprcialky if the name went with the sale?
The profits don't hit the "GE" bottom line. GE Lighting is a division of Savant Systems Inc. GE Appliance is owned by the Haier Group. GE sold the name along with the business, but the GE parent company no longer makes appliances or light bulbs.

As of 2022, General Electric's operations are divided into four business segments: GE Power, GE Renewable Energy, GE Healthcare, and GE Aviation

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,008  
Diesel, kerosene and jet fuel are similar. I’m no pilot but have flown in smaller planes. Weight is very critical and diesel engines aren’t known for being light weight. I don’t see diesels getting big in aviation.
There are diesels and then there are diesels. I have an air cooled all aluminum diesel engine on one of my generators. BMW, GM, and Mercedes all sell all aluminum diesel powered cars.

There is a hybrid aircraft being tested that uses a diesel generator to recharge the batteries and provide extra power on takeoff and climb.

JetA and Kerosene are slightly less energy dense than diesel, but the loss is only 10% or so, but there are advantages for aircraft. One does have to manage the lubricity and solvent resistance, but it is all doable.

Aluminum isn't titanium, but the strength per weight outperforms steel in many alloys.

I think that the primary fork in the road is piston versus turbine, not gasoline versus diesel.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,009  
I wonder how the diesel Beaver compares to the turboprop Beaver.

Both get away from the radial gasoline engine, but it seems the support for the turboprop would be better.

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,010  
Deltahawk diesel, just certified this year after a long, long wait and promises of certification every year for the last 8 to 9 years. The fuel savings has been 35 to 40% vs traditional piston engines on thier test platforms.