Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,981  
6BFA7097-F046-432C-87BE-407FC70ADDC7.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,982  
This is very true. Just try to remember the last commercial or ad you’ve seen for something GE makes. I can’t remember anything.

Way back in the day, GE was one of the largest advertisers in the world.
Westinghouse has gone the same way, I think. I know they make enormous transformers for power plants, but you don't really see any consumer products from them, anymore.

I started my current career in optical telecom, a spinoff from AT&T's Lucent Technologies, daughter of Western Electric and Bell Labs. That company had depth and breadth, a true behemoth, which outgrew its own playground. In a few short years, early 2000's, we went from making no optical module under $4k, to competing with $900 imports. Not easy, in a company absolutely flushed with Ph.D.-degreed engineers, and their associated salaries.

I can see the problem, but I don't know the solution. Convincing people to go back to when a television cost half a month's salary, rather than 2 - 4 hours, is a tough sale.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,983  
Here is the last GE commercial I saw and it is about creating 3 divisions

Health, Aerospace and Energy

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,984  
Here is the last GE commercial I saw and it is about creating 3 divisions

Health, Aerospace and Energy

We used to call these types of commercials “institutional ads” as the commercial is designed at educating the public about the company itself. More like getting folks to want to invest in the company stock than buy it’s products.

These commercials are not like those aimed at buying a refrigerator or washing machine.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,985  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,986  
Since most of the larger companies are run by the boards instead of people who know/care about product, they are more than willing to just buy crap parts and assemble.

The control board for my now deceased at 5 years, even with replacement parts galore, was a $5 part bought in bulk.
That's the whole control/driver board for the motor, five dollars in bulk, the one they charge about $200 for OE replacement. I looked at it, cheap capacitors etc. Most expensive part was probably the heat sink.
Bearings are teflon tabs and felt on a plastic yoke that cracked from the normal loading after 3 years.

No more GE here, or any of the other brands which are made exactly the same withe different cabinets/doors.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,987  
Don't they still have a plant that makes turbines in Schenectady? Last I knew wife's nephew worked there.
Yes, the Schenectady GE plant still makes and refurbishes large steam turbines and builds large generators.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,988  
Since most of the larger companies are run by the boards instead of people who know/care about product, they are more than willing to just buy crap parts and assemble.

The control board for my now deceased at 5 years, even with replacement parts galore, was a $5 part bought in bulk.
That's the whole control/driver board for the motor, five dollars in bulk, the one they charge about $200 for OE replacement. I looked at it, cheap capacitors etc. Most expensive part was probably the heat sink.
Bearings are teflon tabs and felt on a plastic yoke that cracked from the normal loading after 3 years.

No more GE here, or any of the other brands which are made exactly the same withe different cabinets/doors.
I like tried and true vintage equipment...

While the neighbors keep replacing my stuff mostly from the 60's and early 70's keeps working.

The house I bought came with a Subzero and no way would I buy a 13k refrigerator but it's built in and 24 years old... I opted for $1150 compressor replacement and ok with that... and if I get 24 more years I have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,989  
V12 diesel Beaver engine conversion from radial.engine

Bruce