Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#5,892  
Several workers died of the bends when building the Brooklyn Bridge. The foundations were built on top of caissons which were excavated down deep into the river bed. They were basically hollow large wooden boxes with a cutting edge around the bottom. They built the towers on top of them. They pressurized them to keep water out and had an arrangement to get the excavated dirt out by the workers who worked inside them digging by hand. The deeper they went the higher they had to keep the pressure in them. They didn’t understand the bends and called it caissons disease.

The bridge towers still sits on these caissons which are made of pine with a high sap content. They have taken cores of them to make sure they aren’t rotten yet.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,897  
Totally fake picture. You do know cooling towers put off water vapor?
Probably not fake. They put off water vapor yes, but if they don't have sufficient control, it contains particulate matter. I took a course when I was with the DEQ on reading smoke. Water vapor disappears pretty rapidly, but the "smoke" stays. I would have to see a video, but that looks like it is dirty.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #5,898  
Probably not fake. They put off water vapor yes, but if they don't have sufficient control, it contains particulate matter. I took a course when I was with the DEQ on reading smoke. Water vapor disappears pretty rapidly, but the "smoke" stays. I would have to see a video, but that looks like it is dirty.
Also not all of that is from cooling towers, and note that the sun is very low in the sky (on the horizon just barely out of the picture to the left) so you could have some orange light from other atmospheric filtering before it's hitting the clouds; the clouds are backlit so even if pure white normally, having the sun behind them they can appear dark.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,899  
Stupidity is less of a phycological problem and more of a social problem.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,900  
A player in California won a $1.73 billion Powerball jackpot Wednesday night