Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,141  
What makes getting zapped by and MSD system so bad is that it is a multiple firing system below 3,000 RPM, it sends multiple sparks lasting for 20° of crank rotation.
And you can't say ouch repeatably as fast as the shocks are coming at you. It Certainly got my attention one time.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,142  
And you can't say ouch repeatably as fast as the shocks are coming at you. It Certainly got my attention one time.
So, I used to have a full-size (1978) Bronco lifted way up on 40" tires. To work on it, you'd either climb the tire lugs or set up a step ladder, and literally climb into the engine bay. There was a spot to sit on either side (battery side was worse), on the fender, where you could sit and be clear of all moving parts (mostly radiator fan and belts).

So, I'm up there one day trying to adjust timing, MSD 6A on some crazy stupid hot 35kV or 40kV coil. I had good new Accel wires, and so I thought it was safe to just grab the top of the distributor to turn it and adjust the timing. Stupid move, considering it was summer, and was drenched in sweat while sitting on a metal fender inside the engine bay with the thing running. It shocked me so damn bad that the only thing my reptile brain could manage was to throw me backwards off the fender, rather than have a flailing foot go into the radiator fan or water pump belt.

I don't remember how far the fall was, probably about 6 feet from fender to ground, since I'm 6 feet tall and the door handles were right at the top of my head on that vehicle. I do remember it hurt, and took more than a few minutes to shake it off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,143  
I know this story is unbelievable, but I watched a guy I went to high school with, place his hands on the spark plugs of a running flat head Ford and drown it out. He did a little dance of sorts until it quit running, but he did it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,144  
For many years I was a television repairman. In the early 70s I worked for a large appliance store that sold RCA & Magnavox as well as appliances. In shop they had three test jigs, vacuum crt monitors with cables down so techs would just bring in customers chassis and we repaired on the benches connected to test jig. Each had a high voltage meter that went up to 40kV. Normal was 20-30kV. One day I was working on an RCA that had high voltage regulation problem and turning it on the 40kV meter was pegged. As I reached up to unplug the arcing anode lead the bench ac outlet metal strip was pressed against my "equipment".
Immediately there was a loud snap and the pain was amazing! It was like being kicked in the groin. I didn't pass out but everything went dark for a second or so.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,146  
Speaking of getting shocked events; Several years ago I owned a hobby farm in the Columbia basin that had a pasture that I irrigated by handlines. I order to divide the pasture to force pasture rotation for the cows I had installed an electric fence right close to the mainline that fed the handlines. One morning I was out changing water. My leather boots were wet and I was hooking up the handline to the mainline and I leaned over and accidentally touched my forehead to the electric fence! The next thing I remember was waking up laying on the sopping wet ground, wondering where I was and what I was doing there. It was like a temporary and complete wiping of my memory. My brain had an peculiar feeling that lasted for the rest of the day. It was quite scary.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,147  
For many years I was a television repairman. In the early 70s I worked for a large appliance store that sold RCA & Magnavox as well as appliances. In shop they had three test jigs, vacuum crt monitors with cables down so techs would just bring in customers chassis and we repaired on the benches connected to test jig. Each had a high voltage meter that went up to 40kV. Normal was 20-30kV. One day I was working on an RCA that had high voltage regulation problem and turning it on the 40kV meter was pegged. As I reached up to unplug the arcing anode lead the bench ac outlet metal strip was pressed against my "equipment".
Immediately there was a loud snap and the pain was amazing! It was like being kicked in the groin. I didn't pass out but everything went dark for a second or so.
I that was my, I'd look around and think about doing it again. :sneaky:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,148  
Since we're talking about getting shocked......

I was hunting one day. Was out with a couple other people so I stepped off to the side to pee on some brush.

What I didn't know, was in amongst that brush was an electric fence line that was still live and not shorted

I don't pee on random brush piles anymore

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,149  
My sister
I know this story is unbelievable, but I watched a guy I went to high school with, place his hands on the spark plugs of a running flat head Ford and drown it out. He did a little dance of sorts until it quit running, but he did it.
can hold onto a live electric ffence wire and says she doesn't feel anything.
For sure doesn't flinch or jerk

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,150  
My sister can hold onto a live electric ffence wire and says she doesn't feel anything. For sure doesn't flinch or jerk