Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,761  
At my previous employer we had CENTREX lines. Our numbers were like

235-6XXX

The city had CENTREX lines as well, and their numbers were like

235-9XXX

Our IT help line was the same as the police department's main desk, except for the 6 VS 9.

We'd get so many calls for the police department just from people hitting the 6 instead of the 9. It got to the point that we'd just tell people to please hold and we'd transfer them.
Back in the days of dialup I was spending a lot of time in motel rooms and would access the internet via their phone system. Generally I would have to dial "9" to get out, then 1-800-... I normally would then pick the phone up to make sure it was going through. One day I noticed I could set the computer up to automatically dial the "1", but apparently didn't take it off my 1-800 number. I set it up to dial out, then picked up the phone in time to hear "911, what's your emergency?"
I wasn't long telling him there wasn't one, and explaining what had happened. He asked me to confirm where I was calling from and that was the end, but I am thankful that I hadn't followed my first instinct which was to hang up.

Now most motels have wi-fi but our IT guy really discourages us from using it for security reasons.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,762  
Back in the days of dialup I was spending a lot of time in motel rooms and would access the internet via their phone system. Generally I would have to dial "9" to get out, then 1-800-... I normally would then pick the phone up to make sure it was going through. One day I noticed I could set the computer up to automatically dial the "1", but apparently didn't take it off my 1-800 number. I set it up to dial out, then picked up the phone in time to hear "911, what's your emergency?"
I wasn't long telling him there wasn't one, and explaining what had happened. He asked me to confirm where I was calling from and that was the end, but I am thankful that I hadn't followed my first instinct which was to hang up.

Now most motels have wi-fi but our IT guy really discourages us from using it for security reasons.
Years ago I was renting a room from a friend of mine. Roomate was out teaching a psych class at the college so I was home by myself with the pooch.

All of a sudden the cops knock on the door They had a 911 hangup call from our place.

Invited them in, talked to the one officer and let them search the house to make sure I wasn't an axe murderer

Roommate had the phone company come out and check the lines. Found a short in the box on the side of the house

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,764  
Ringo Starr turned 83 today.
He and George were the half which always seemed to get overshadowed. Yet I've always felt they both had the most talent... probably because they weren't as willing to sell themselves out as the other two.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,765  
Ringo Starr turned 83 today.
That was something we didn't need to know :)

remember when the phone company charged extra for a touch tone line. I always refused to pay for nonsense like that, like I couldn't wait a couple seconds more for the call to go thru. Afterawhile they finally stopped charging for it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,766  
That was something we didn't need to know :)

remember when the phone company charged extra for a touch tone line. I always refused to pay for nonsense like that, like I couldn't wait a couple seconds more for the call to go thru. Afterawhile they finally stopped charging for it.
If he's offended you, I won't send him a present next year.;-)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,767  
Years ago I was renting a room from a friend of mine. Roomate was out teaching a psych class at the college so I was home by myself with the pooch.

All of a sudden the cops knock on the door They had a 911 hangup call from our place.

Invited them in, talked to the one officer and let them search the house to make sure I wasn't an axe murderer

Roommate had the phone company come out and check the lines. Found a short in the box on the side of the house
This exact thing happened to a woman who used to work for me, minus the conclusion of a short in the NID. Her and her husband were asleep in the middle of the night, when they awoke to see flashing lights in their front yard, then a knock at the door. Police claimed there was a 911 call from their house, and wanted to come in and search the place. Very strange, they were an older couple with no kids, who lived alone in their house.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,768  
I was driving home one night and my phone started making warning sounds and I saw on the trucks screen it was dialing 911. I hung up and got a call back and told her my phone just did it and I’ll have to figure out why.

On Apple phones if you hit the button on the right side 3 times it dials 911. It did that in my pocket. I turned that off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,769  
911 call not made because my renters were on vacation resulted in the police splintering the 42” wide stain grade panel front door and frame after breaking out a window and deciding glass to dangerous to navigate…

I got a police call at 2 am asking if I was going to board up the window and doorway or if I agreed to pay $650 for the city to do it…

Due to liability law the city was not on the hook and my $1000 deductible made it unwise to submit a claim…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,770  
911 call not made because my renters were on vacation resulted in the police splintering the 42” wide stain grade panel front door and frame after breaking out a window and deciding glass to dangerous to navigate…

I got a police call at 2 am asking if I was going to board up the window and doorway or if I agreed to pay $650 for the city to do it…

Due to liability law the city was not on the hook and my $1000 deductible made it unwise to submit a claim…
They have done worse, and walked away from the debris unscathed.