Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,733  
Phone numbers.
Grandfather next door on the farm was a physician, D.O., surgeon. Before WWII he sent his patient gowns to Hill City Laundry in these cloth sacks, this one is in my garage.
Phone #604
Then he bought grandmother an electric mangle and washing machine (nice, wasn't he? ) so she laundered gowns at home.
Sometimes as a kid I helped (slave labor ). The curved part heated (temp. adj. knob on front), the cloth covered roll slowly turned, and your right knee pushed on a lever to contact iron to roll. You started gown in, push lever and it ironed. Fold gown, repeat.
"Doc" said he looked up from his desk one day and a lady was standing there naked except for hat, gloves, heels, purse..."you're all out of gowns" she said.
20230705_211432.jpg
2023_07_05_21.16.49.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,734  
Phone numbers.
Grandfather next door on the farm was a physician, D.O., surgeon. Before WWII he sent his patient gowns to Hill City Laundry in these cloth sacks, this one is in my garage.
Phone #604
Then he bought grandmother an electric mangle and washing machine (nice, wasn't he? ) so she laundered gowns at home.
Sometimes as a kid I helped (slave labor ). The curved part heated (temp. adj. knob on front), the cloth covered roll slowly turned, and your right knee pushed on a lever to contact iron to roll. You started gown in, push lever and it ironed. Fold gown, repeat.
"Doc" said he looked up from his desk one day and a lady was standing there naked except for hat, gloves, heels, purse..."you're all out of gowns" she said. View attachment 809599View attachment 809600
My mom had an ironing machine very similar to that in our laundry room. It's the only one I ever saw in a house. This was the 60s and 70s.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,736  
My mom had an ironing machine very similar to that in our laundry room. It's the only one I ever saw in a house. This was the 60s and 70s.
Oh the Iron-y...
😁

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,737  
Stan Laurel of the comedy team Laurel and Hardy was born in Ulverston, Lankashire, England.

While his derby hat might make Oliver Hardy seem English too, he was a Georgia boy, born in Harlem, Georgia, USA.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,740  
At my previous employer we had CENTREX lines. Our numbers were like

235-6XXX

The city had CENTREX lines as well, and their numbers were like

235-9XXX

Our IT help line was the same as the police department's main desk, except for the 6 VS 9.

We'd get so many calls for the police department just from people hitting the 6 instead of the 9. It got to the point that we'd just tell people to please hold and we'd transfer them.