Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,691  
Area code 4 is supposed to cover the southern half of the state. But those living in the area with the current area code can keep it. They just have to start dialing 10 digits instead of 7.
We only have one area code here in N.H., but a couple years ago we had to start 10-digit dialing even for local calls. Apparently it had something to do with one exchange (the 3-digit part of your phone #) that was going to be used for some sort of national (suicide?) hotline, and that exchange was in use here.
A bit of a PITA if you try to use redial on a missed call, since in many cases the caller ID only shows 7 digits.

It wasn't until the 90s here that we even had to dial all 7 digits to call a number in the same exchange...you used to be able to just dial the last 4.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,692  
We only have one area code here in N.H., but a couple years ago we had to start 10-digit dialing even for local calls. Apparently it had something to do with one exchange (the 3-digit part of your phone #) that was going to be used for some sort of national (suicide?) hotline, and that exchange was in use here.
A bit of a PITA if you try to use redial on a missed call, since in many cases the caller ID only shows 7 digits.

It wasn't until the 90s here that we even had to dial all 7 digits to call a number in the same exchange...you used to be able to just dial the last 4.
I grew up in the state next door. I remember that switch from 4 to 7.

Since we have the three separate area codes in my coverage area for work, I've constantly had to make sure that a customer gives me their area code.

We just went to 10 digit dialing for the area in the past year. But that didn't effect me. I've always had the area code plugged in, in my contacts.

A more recent phenomenon that I've been coming across in recent months.

Phone calls coming in will have the 1 before the area code.

I've had to remove the 1 before the number before making or returning a call.

In the past couple months if it has the 1 before the number, my phones keep thinking it's an international call

This means editing 1 of the 300 contacts on my work phone before calling the person.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,693  
I have a competitors service tag hear in NH. The phone number is 93.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,694  
Wow. We were already on 7 digit dialing before I was born in the early 1970's. We went to 10-digit dialing in the early 1990's, with the blame being assigned mostly to the number of new phone #'s required to service fax machines, and to a lesser degree cellular phones. There was even a brief period where the phone companies were disallowing the old practice of businesses pulling blocks of numbers beyond their actual need, as they were running out of numbers within the original 215 area code. Now we have at least four overlapping local area codes (215, 610, 267, 484...)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,695  
There's talk of how we may need to have a second area code soon, but that will be down the road a few years. I do see a lot of different exchanges for local cell phones.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,697  
The bomb squad was called to the White House Sunday July 2 2023 after discovery of a white powder substance.
Relax - It is only Cocaine. Nothing to see here - move along folks. :LOL:

One the plus side we may have found how we can balance the budget.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#4,698  
Jay’s potato chips used to be called Japp potato chips but was changed during WW2.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,699  

I grew up on the old system of "central". Manned usually by women. Customers were one rural party lines and teh "numbers" were coded rings on teh wall hanging phone. Ours was 4 short - 2 long rings. To talk to someone on anohter line you had to go through "Central" where they patched the two lines together. Long distance was done the same way. Amazing progress in only 88 years.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,700  
Before there was self dialing, you had to have an operator make the connection. These women operators were often underpaid to patch calls using ring and tip cords They were often bribed by businesses to send business to only them. A funeral director, named Strowger, was seeing that his business was failing because competitors were redirecting all the calls through these bribes. So he invented an entirely novel direct dial system in 1891. Which is still used today. Its also a fundamental break through that lead to very early computers that used relays.

Last edited: