Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,681  
Our town used to have a lot of brick streets (still does, but most now under asphalt). My dad said when he was a little kid back in the 20's they'd bring prisoners from the jail out to a street that needed resetting of the bricks. The prisoners would remove the bricks, level the sand, turn the brick 1/4 turn, and put it back down. Repeat.

Wife and I just saw a nice brick pattern under a chuckhole a few days ago. ;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,683  
Ran across this on another forum and had to share. This is what happens if you land on the wrong aircraft carrier.

Brutal.jpg

The full story:
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/heres-w ... ft-carrier

Doug in SW IA

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,684  
Yeah. I had that explained to me many years ago by a friend who worked for the post office. Sure makes a lot more sense than the apparently random way telephone area codes were assigned.
Speaking of telephone area codes. We currently have 3 area codes for the state. But are fixing to get a forth. And I'll agree that it's confusing and just thrown out there.

Little Rock and the surrounding area has 1 area code

Area code 2 starts in around russleville and some of the area north of the I-40 corridor west to fort Smith, then follows the interstate north to the Fayatteville area on the west side of the state.

Area code 3 covers everything else. North, East, South and West once you get south of the fort Smith area

Area code 4 is supposed to cover the southern half of the state. But those living in the area with the current area code can keep it. They just have to start dialing 10 digits instead of 7.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,685  
The US Capital Building was designed to include a crypt for George Washington. Its directly below the Rotunda. Washington's Will expressedly said he wanted to be buried at Mt Vernon. And his surviving family, also didn't want to have his grave moved. The Capital Crypt is still un-used.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,687  
12345 is actually a valid zip code, it's the home of General Electric in Schenectady, NY.

Lots of letters to Santa get delivered there every year.
Close. It is the GE Corporate R&D center. I worked there as a student intern a couple summers in college and was amused by the ZIP code. I used to have a pad printed with my name on it and the address, GE "meatball", etc from back when companies did stuff like that.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,690  
Close. It is the GE Corporate R&D center. I worked there as a student intern a couple summers in college and was amused by the ZIP code. I used to have a pad printed with my name on it and the address, GE "meatball", etc from back when companies did stuff like that.
Sorry DSTIG1, the 12345 zip code belongs to the GE main plant in Schenectady. Once upon a time the R&D facility was also there at the main campus. I worked at the main plant and many a December I worked the Santa reply desk at lunch time. If you address a letter to Santa, zip code 12345 it goes to the main plant in Sch. The mail room is in building 5.

GE R&D is in Niskayuna with a zip code of 12309.