Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,671  
In keeping with the OP's thread title...
You just told me something which I didn't know. đź‘Ť
It also dramatically increases the wear and heat resistance of the tire (up to 100x for some properties). Carbon black can account for 50% of a tire by weight, and yet we call them "rubber" tires.

Thank Charles Goodyear (yes that was his company) for adding sulfur to rubber latex to render the resulting "vulcanized" rubber stable, and nor longer likely to melt, ooze, or otherwise go to pieces in the heat.

There is a whole other history of the development of SBR, aka synthetic, aka styrene-butadiene rubber, developed during the Second World War when the trade in natural latex was disrupted. SBR forms most of what we call rubber these days, especially in high performance applications like tires and hydraulic hoses.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,672  
SBR forms most of what we call rubber these days
But we still need that natural rubber added for elasticity. Sources of latex could come from many different plants also, not just "rubber trees".

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,673  
What are rubber bands made of?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,675  
Learned this while working on a 3D plumbing install with Revit software.

Waste vent and drain fittings are made to ASTM standards to create a 1/4" per foot slope in sanitary drains.
So a Sanitary Tee does not have a 90° bend, it is actually 91.2° to keep the horizontal portion of the pipe attached to it at the 1/4" per foot slope so the pipes drain.
The same goes for a quarter bend "90°", it is also a 91.2° bend.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,676  
D51A1357-6985-4986-810C-CF6EF084F425.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,680  
My back hurts just looking at that. They were spreading quite a thick layer of sand for some reason. Any ideas?

Here is a modern version that lays closer to 3,300sq.ft. per day with a two person crew, and a bobcat operator bringing refill bricks. (Three workers would normally lay closer to 225-300sq.ft./day)

Video;

All the best,

Peter