Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,581  
My grandfather, a physician, was friends with Gus Welch of Bedford, Va. who was also Native American and I remember visiting him. He had pictures of Jim Thorpe and coached him to some degree. He's on Wikipedia. His daughter was very pretty and was a model for Pocahontas food labels.
His home is on Rt.43 near Peaks of Otter.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,582  
I believe the truck shown had not yet been built in 1927 as it appears to be a slightly later model Ford.

Judging on the condition of the sheet metal and paint my guess the picture was taken in the late 1930’s or even later as during WWII rubber tires for civilian vehicles were not available and creative individuals adapted other tire combinations out of necessity.
You're probably correct. Here's a 1929 Ford.

1687528336385.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,584  
Geo. Washington was perhaps one of the luckiest men ever born, to the point where you have to really suspect that divine providence was on his side. From constantly riding in front of his troops in the direct line if fire, having his clothing shot thru or his horse shot out from under him on several occasions with never taking a bullet himself, to things like fog serendipitously hiding more than one botched retreat or offense, there are almost-countless times when an inch or a second saved him from certain death. The more you learn about the details of his life, the more it's hard to ignore how much luck or providence had to do with his ability to lead this country through the Rev. war, and after.

That's not to discount his accomplishments, either. Such as his marriage, which I discussed in an earlier post on this forum, he worked hard to put himself in the place and time where luck could happen.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,585  
And George started out 0 for 3 with the British, no wonder he switched sides.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,589  
Interesting two gyroscopes kept the car in balance. To park it had two small wheels lowered to hold it up. No wheel brakes but a transmission brake.
It weighed over two tons.
In 1927, Louis Brennan, funded to the tune of £12,000 (plus a £2000 per year) by John Cortauld built a rather more successful gyrocar. Two contra-rotating gyros were housed under the front seats, spun in a horizontal plane at 3500 rpm by 24V electric motors powered from standard car batteries. This was the greatest speed obtainable with the electric motors available, and meant that each rotor had to weigh 200 lb (91 kg) to generate sufficient forces. Precession was in the vertical fore-aft plane.