Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,251  
Cows are the best babysitters. There will be one cow with calves laying all around her while the other mommas are off eating or getting a drink. That cow will protect all of those babies. She doesn’t care that they’re not hers — she’s watching out for all of them while their moms are away. If you notice, it’s not always the same cow babysitting. They switch back and forth.

I was just reading an article about Tokyo and how their children travel solo around the city at a very young age. The youngest ones wear yellow hats, alerting the adults around that they may need a little help. They have decided that their young are their collective responsibility. They make it a safe place for those children to be because all of the adults are watching out for them. They step in when something is amiss. Everybody protects the children. Tokyo and cows have it figured out
Funnily enough, we have one horse out with the cattle. For whatever reason, he is the designated calf sitter, almost always. Perhaps because horses sleep less? Whatever the reason, he takes the job very seriously, and will watch over the cud chewing moms when the calves are no longer with the moms. Being taller has responsibilities?

Watching yellow hatted kids making their way around in Japan are pretty amazing to an outsider at least.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,252  
Funnily enough, we have one horse out with the cattle. For whatever reason, he is the designated calf sitter, almost always. Perhaps because horses sleep less? Whatever the reason, he takes the job very seriously, and will watch over the cud chewing moms when the calves are no longer with the moms. Being taller has responsibilities?

Watching yellow hatted kids making their way around in Japan are pretty amazing to an outsider at least.

All the best,

Peter
A bit old but good explanation.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,253  
IMG_7209.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,254  
Anthropologists have found that injuries to Neanderthal skeletons are similar to modern professional rodeo riders...suggesting that they hunted and killed large animals, at close quarters, that caused the trauma.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,255  
A bit old but good explanation.
Altogether different culture. When I was about 8 my younger brother and I went to the grocery store with my mother... this would have been in the late 1960s. About halfway through the store she realized that her pocketbook was at the house so left us with the cart while she drove home to get it. (About 5 miles).

I often think about that when I hear about kids disappearing today.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,259  

All the best,

Peter
I’ve never heard of a horse guarding cows before. But I watched a couple videos of donkeys guarding sheep or goat flocks. A trained guard donkey is also cheaper to purchase than a trained Shepard dog.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,260  
I’ve never heard of a horse guarding cows before. But I watched a couple videos of donkeys guarding sheep or goat flocks. A trained guard donkey is also cheaper to purchase than a trained Shepard dog.
And they live a lot longer, and eat the same food as the herd. Mules are great, too. There are more than a few reports of mules that went out of their way to hunt down mountain lions.