Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,901  
Sadly, I think that the "new" JC Whitney is using the brand for something different.

Still fun memories of browsing the flimsy newsprint catalogs.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,902  
Fun memories, because you were young, and the cheap garbage they were selling was all we could afford. Good riddance! J.C. Whitney sold 99% pure crap.

Now, if you want to lament the old Summit Racing or Jegs catalogs, then I'm with you. I think half my paycheck went to Summit Racing in my early 20's.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,903  
Fun memories, because you were young, and the cheap garbage they were selling was all we could afford. Good riddance! J.C. Whitney sold 99% pure crap.
I wouldn't go that far, but they sure did offer a lot of "who would want this?" items like gas/brake pedal covers that looked like a bare foot or aftermarket turn signal kits long after signals were standard equipment. Then again, it never failed half the stuff you ordered was out of stock, backordered or whatever, and it seemed like they never updated their catalogs.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,905  
I think the last things I bought from JC Whitney were a seat cover and a set of headers for a Nova back in the early 80s.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,906  
To be honest I had forgotten about JCWhitney until somebody here mentioned the company a few months ago. I'm not sure f I ever placed an order there. I do remember my father ordering motorcycle parts or accessories there however.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,907  

STEVE MCQUEEN – Not a nice guy.​

August 17, 2017 Alan Royle Did You Know? 67

Image result for steve mcqueen

Steve McQueen’s mother was a prostitute, his father a circus stuntman and neither cared a fig about their boy. He lost his virginity at 13 to an obese teen age hooker who accepted candy for sex. At 16 he was a towel boy in a brothel and encouraged to sample the wares on offer. Shoplifting and stealing hubcaps would land him in Chino Reformatory in California for five years between 1944 and 1949. He said it was the best thing that ever happened to him; that it straightened him out. From there he went into the US Marine Corps.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,908  
I think the last things I bought from JC Whitney were a seat cover and a set of headers for a Nova back in the early 80s.
I bought a set of headers from them in the early '70s when I had my '69 L78 Nova. Drove to Chitown and picked them up, a set of Hedman Hustlers, I think, got back and tried to install them and the drivers side hit the manual steering box. After a call to them, they admitted the set they gave me were for a Chevelle. I ended up doing some adjusting with a BFH and got them to fit, at least they didn't hit the steering box any more.
After that, my rule for anything I bought from them was "Trust, but verify."

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,909  
The accuracy of GPS used to be a lot worse. Currently consumer grade GPS is accurate to about 10 meters or 30 feet and it is often better than that. There used to be an intentional degradation of the results which made it more than a 100 meters off. This was done by the military and was called Selective Availability. The military of course got the better data. As I recall when Clinton was president it was turned off and now everybody gets the good data.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,910  
The accuracy of GPS used to be a lot worse. Currently consumer grade GPS is accurate to about 10 meters or 30 feet and it is often better than that. There used to be an intentional degradation of the results which made it more than a 100 meters off. This was done by the military and was called Selective Availability. The military of course got the better data. As I recall when Clinton was president it was turned off and now everybody gets the good data.
interesting …
what about the accuracy of the small handheld one like for hunting has these improve ? do you know… still around +-3 ?