Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,701  
The swastika used by Nazi Germany was a symbol that originated in India and was also part of some Native American cultures.

"One of the oldest symbols made by humans, the swastika dates back some 6,000 years to rock and cave paintings. Scholars generally agree it originated in India. With the emergence of the Sanskrit language came the term 'swastika', a combination of 'su', or good, and 'asti', to be; in other words, well-being."

From Wikipedia:

"The swastika was a widely used Native American symbol. It was used by many southwestern tribes, most notably the Navajo. Among different tribes the swastika carried various meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clans; to the Navajo it represented a whirling log ( tsil no'oli' ), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals.

"The history of the swastika goes back to the origins of the Eurasian Continent. The swastika is an important symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism, among others, and was also used in Native American and Jewish faiths prior to World War II. By the early twentieth century it was regarded worldwide as symbol of good luck and auspiciousness."

Wasn't the nazi swasticka a reverse of the old ones?

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,703  
A Maltese Cross used to be stamped on engines for non standard bearing sizes. This was for older Mopar engines but is probably valid for newer and other makes, I’m not sure. I think 0.001 undersized on crank bearings?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,704  
The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection that dates back thousands of years to the Knights of St. John who lived on Malta in the Mediterranean Sea. Today, it is worn as a Badge of Honor by firefighters who are willing to lay down their own lives for those in need.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,705  
Wasn't the nazi swasticka a reverse of the old ones?
Yeah, I think so. I heard a story from a Native American that the Nazi reverse version was the female version; that's why ****** was defeated.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,706  
A Maltese Cross used to be stamped on engines for non standard bearing sizes. This was for older Mopar engines but is probably valid for newer and other makes, I’m not sure. I think 0.001 undersized on crank bearings?
Yes, I find it a fascinating bit of engine machining history, there is a whole series of marks to indicate undersize items, and it means that one or more of the items are undersized; (mopar!)
ED06DC52-8346-4943-8042-5F235F08E26F.jpeg

Many more ways to read an engine block;

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,707  
Yeah, I think so. I heard a story from a Native American that the Nazi reverse version was the female version; that's why ****** was defeated.
In Japan, the "manji" is the same as the swastika, but it's a buddhist symbol.
I have a belt from studying shorinji kempo that has it near the end; it's not obvious unless you look for it but I've had to explain it to a couple surprised people before...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,709  
If you measure the time of the building of the Great Pyramids in Egypt, to the time most people think Jesus was born, that expanse of time is longer by 460 odd years, then present day is to the birth of Jesus.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,710  
The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection that dates back thousands of years to the Knights of St. John...
I think you mean the Knights of Ni!

1679523492680.png

If you measure the time of the building of the Great Pyramids in Egypt, to the time most people think Jesus was born, that expanse of time is longer by 460 odd years, then present day is to the birth of Jesus.
Hands down, my favorite elective class in college was "History of Science". We started with Babylon and Mesopotamia, spent an enormous part of the course on Greece, and right up through the modern age. By the time we got to Netwon and Faraday, it felt like we were talking present-tense. It's all relative!