Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,101  
Darwin, at work, and waiting in the wings... not even a berm to hide behind.

I was only surprised that they didn't try feeding it gasoline or oxygen, and then I saw post #2,099...:rolleyes::eek:

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,102  
As a child, our family was travelling along R 50 on the eastern shore of Maryland. The road had recently been redone. This was when concrete roads were considered the high standard. It was a very hot summer day. The road started buckling, and the first time was a big surprise, that sent the car airborne. We didn't at first know what was going on. But soon discovered that the entire length of the redone part of R 50 was having these buckling events every 1/2 mile or so and we were redirected to take secondary roads. I wonder how any people remember driving on concrete roads and the familiar, "ta-dump" of crossing the expansion cuts.
We still have those around here. It's rhythmic and puts you to sleep. 😬

Every notice just how loud a concrete road is when it switches to asphalt and you can hear yourself think again?

When I was a kid, we lived near I80/90 toll road. It was concrete. You could hear the truck tires all night long a mile away.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,103  
1918, World War I ends: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside of Compiegne in France. The war officially stops at 11:00 (The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,104  
I don't travel a bunch any more but I can't remember the last time I was on an Interstate highway that was not concrete...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,105  
Most of my X-country trips were done in unpaneled Vans. So yes, concrete roads are very loud. :)

Did you know that the opening sound pattern of the Bee Gee's, "Jive Talking," was inspired by the sound of driving over a bridge in Florida. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,106  
Most of my X-country trips were done in unpaneled Vans. So yes, concrete roads are very loud. :)

Did you know that the opening sound pattern of the Bee Gee's, "Jive Talking," was inspired by the sound of driving over a bridge in Florida. :)
I did not know that! (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,107  
As a child, our family was travelling along R 50 on the eastern shore of Maryland. The road had recently been redone. This was when concrete roads were considered the high standard. It was a very hot summer day. The road started buckling, and the first time was a big surprise, that sent the car airborne. We didn't at first know what was going on. But soon discovered that the entire length of the redone part of R 50 was having these buckling events every 1/2 mile or so and we were redirected to take secondary roads. I wonder how any people remember driving on concrete roads and the familiar, "ta-dump" of crossing the expansion cuts.

We still have those around here. It's rhythmic and puts you to sleep. 😬

Every notice just how loud a concrete road is when it switches to asphalt and you can hear yourself think again?

When I was a kid, we lived near I80/90 toll road. It was concrete. You could hear the truck tires all night long a mile away.

I rode Greyhound Chicago to Spokane, WA in the late 60s. New construction, part of the interstate that replaced US2. Joints so bad that the bus was driving with the right side tires on the berm - even then it was jolt, jolt, jolt, for miles on end.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,108  
I rode Greyhound Chicago to Spokane, WA in the late 60s. New construction, part of the interstate that replaced US2. Joints so bad that the bus was driving with the right side tires on the berm - even then it was jolt, jolt, jolt, for miles on end.
Dad rode one tire in the berm like that during a beginning of a freezing rain ice storm. Had to get home, no snow yet, but berm was grass which allowed for traction. But very slow going. Jon

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,109  
I drive like that frequently on some of the county roads around here due to chuck holes and just generally bad condition. It's sad when the dirt shoulder is a better path than the paved road.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,110  
Until it sucks you down into a holler.......