Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,571  
8D34C4EC-2E84-4DF4-882A-1E14D57DF5FA.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,573  
Must have been the same place a college friend went to work unless Trona has several chem employers?

Lost touch but he said the isolation can take a toll...
This was 50 years ago, and I'm sure it's changed, but I believe there were several different company plants there. I worked for the Kerr McGee company (formerly American Potash). I think that the 20 Mule Borax plant was there also. Isolation, yes. Tight knit company town? Yes. Management/labor cultural division. This was during a strike, and since I was considered management, I was elected to fill in.
It was a bit hostile; the strikers had access to a mountain of bulk glass in the form of marbles that had been cleaned from the incoming rail cars. There wasn't an unbroken window in the facility that faced the perimeter of the property; I guess the town sold out of wrist rockets.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,576  
I hope to see the Northern Lights in person some day! The pics are stunning! (y)

Oddly I spent two winters in Alaska on St. Lawrence and Shemya Islands. I cannot remember even once stepping out to see them but I must have. I did see a spectacular display once here in Eastern Washington. Got off shift at midnight in a town in the bottom of a small canyon. North rim (where I was headed) was lit up. I thought it might be a grass fire until I topped out and saw the display. Got home and called both my neighbors. Told them to turn off their yard lights and step to enjoy it. Nope, lights off about 1 minute and back off. Me and wife sat up for 2 hours.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,577  
Discarded /used PPE gear...shredded and added to concrete mixtures can increase the strength and durability by up to 22%...

The innovation, announced by RMIT University in Melbourne, requires the personal protective equipment (PPE) to be shredded and then mixed into cement at various volumes, between 0.1 percent and 0.25 percent.

Rubber gloves were found to increase concrete strength by 22 percent, isolation gowns increased resistance to bending stress by up to 21 percent, compressive strength by 15 percent and elasticity by 12 percent and face masks increased compressive strength by up to 17 percent.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,578  
Discarded /used PPE gear...shredded and added to concrete mixtures can increase the strength and durability by up to 22%...

The innovation, announced by RMIT University in Melbourne, requires the personal protective equipment (PPE) to be shredded and then mixed into cement at various volumes, between 0.1 percent and 0.25 percent.

Rubber gloves were found to increase concrete strength by 22 percent, isolation gowns increased resistance to bending stress by up to 21 percent, compressive strength by 15 percent and elasticity by 12 percent and face masks increased compressive strength by up to 17 percent.

Good post. (y) I thought the idea of hospital gowns was thrown out do to cracks being exposed on the backside of the concrete.:unsure:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,579  
During the pandemic lockdowns, my best buddy was failing fast from bone cancer.

Knowing it's going to be a real bad day for the wife and I, the vet met us at his office which was closed. He wouldn't let us go into the building with him. I felt like I abandoned the little guy at his greatest need.

It's been two years and I'm still struggling with it at times.
Our vet came to our home to put our's down, dead of winter with snow and ice. He even offered to help bury him, but I had already dug the hole before the storm hit. Wonderful person.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,580  
FB_IMG_1655993864893.jpg