Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,411  
i was today years old :) when i found out california has a bigger population than canada (I knew this, but it is surprising)

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#1,412  
Someone brought up pile driving. I did inspection on a local bridge I watched them drive the piles. The pile driver is basically just a two stroke diesel. The crane lifts the driver with a rope and as it comes down it shoots diesel in which fires and drives it back up. You are suppose to count the blows per inch, there is a chart that you look on before hand, but you can almost tell by the sound when it’s done.

The engineer estimates (guesses) before hand how long the piles will be. They don’t want then too long, they just get cut off and wasted, but if they are too short they have to weld more on and they get paid big bucks for that.
Around here I don’t think the piles ever come back up, they can build on them right but it takes a few days to get the forms up and rebar installed.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,413  
Someone brought up pile driving. I did inspection on a local bridge I watched them drive the piles. The pile driver is basically just a two stroke diesel. The crane lifts the driver with a rope and as it comes down it shoots diesel in which fires and drives it back up. You are suppose to count the blows per inch, there is a chart that you look on before hand, but you can almost tell by the sound when it’s done.

The engineer estimates (guesses) before hand how long the piles will be. They don’t want then too long, they just get cut off and wasted, but if they are too short they have to weld more on and they get paid big bucks for that.
Around here I don’t think the piles ever come back up, they can build on them right but it takes a few days to get the forms up and rebar installed.
The resistance of the strata is determined by bore tests...that sets most of the criteria for driven pilings...
many piles are driven using just a weighted drop hammer (much more work for the crane operator)...with the weight of the drop hammer directly related to a required blow count...
I am only familiar with driving piles in FL where I don't think I ever saw one that didn't come back up a little...

What is really cool for setting sheet pile is what's called a "vibro"...it's a hydraulic hammer with some gripping jaws...a section of sheet pile is grabbed, set into position and the vibro is started and the sheet pile just goes right on down...much better than a drop hammer and much faster and no more pillow blocks and mangled sheet pile tops...!

BTW we also had pneumatic chainsaws that worked under water for cutting off wood pilings...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,416  
The resistance of the strata is determined by bore tests...that sets most of the criteria for driven pilings...
many piles are driven using just a weighted drop hammer (much more work for the crane operator)...with the weight of the drop hammer directly related to a required blow count...
I am only familiar with driving piles in FL where I don't think I ever saw one that didn't come back up a little...

What is really cool for setting sheet pile is what's called a "vibro"...it's a hydraulic hammer with some gripping jaws...a section of sheet pile is grabbed, set into position and the vibro is started and the sheet pile just goes right on down...much better than a drop hammer and much faster and no more pillow blocks and mangled sheet pile tops...!

BTW we also had pneumatic chainsaws that worked under water for cutting off wood pilings...
They use those quite a bit around here for retaining walls on beaches, and to build dams around things so they can suck the water out and work below surrounding water level. Sometimes they pull them out when done. Sometimes they’re part of the permanent structure. Pretty neat to see them slip them together then vibrate them down. Walls went pretty quickly.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,417  
Most Canadians live here.

canadians.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,419  
I always wondered...if Canada is America's "hat", what is Mexico?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,420  
One of the most interesting things to do in Florence Italy is to go to the Duomo Museum next store to the Duomo. There, they have a room filled with religious reliques that had been adorned for centuries. These were later determined to be fake. But, Oh! They are so beautiful, and complete works of art just on their own.