Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,361  
Today is National Caviar Day... something I have never tried and probably never will.

The fish eggs come from the Atlantic or Shortnosed Sturgeon, which was almost fished into extinction because of demand for it's eggs.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,362  
I like caviar, but too expensive for my taste.
Those Sturgeon are huge.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,363  
I like caviar, but too expensive for my taste.
Those Sturgeon are huge.
By the 19th century, the United States produced 90% of the world's caviar, which was then re-imported to the United States as "Russian Caviar".

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,364  
The only parking ticket I've ever gotten was at the University of Maine, for not having a permit. I had stopped by the police station to get one, but would have had to park so far away that it would have taken longer to get the permit than to run my errand.

It's also the only ticket that I've never paid...
I got a "parking on the grass" at the AF base in the upper peninsula MI (?Kinross?). As it was February I had to wait till spring to see if It was valid. Yep I was on the grass.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,365  
I got a "parking on the grass" at the AF base in the upper peninsula MI (?Kinross?). As it was February I had to wait till spring to see if It was valid. Yep I was on the grass.
Party Foul!
No parking on the grass!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,366  
Today is National Caviar Day... something I have never tried and probably never will.

The fish eggs come from the Atlantic or Shortnosed Sturgeon, which was almost fished into extinction because of demand for it's eggs.

I don't think I have ever been more frightened than when I was wade fishing the flats in Tampa Bay and startled about an 8 foot sturgeon...all I was thinking was "bull shark"...had only heard about the local sturgeon population before that...!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,368  
The shopping cart was also invented in Oklahoma city. The inventor, Sylvan Goldman, owned Humpty Dumpty Super markets; I worked for them for several years in the late 50's early 60's.

Ah supermarkets! The modern supermarket was invented in the early 1900's and the guy who did it actually patented the concept. He called his markets Piggly Wiggly, which is still well-known today. Before that a clerk would pick your order but his invention was to allow the customer to pick their own order and then just check out at the end. I forget the details, but here is why I bring it up:

The funny part. The idea was so well received that many people tried to copy him while his patent was still in force. He was constantly suing these copycats to shut them down. My personal favorite for one of the copycats was that they didn't even try to conceal it: They named their market Hoggly Woggly. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,369  
53 years ago today, man stepped on the moon for the first time.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,370  
Maybe this should go in the movie thread...?...but for all these years I never knew that the (spoof) movie 'Airplane' was actually spoofing one particular movie and not airline disaster movies in general...
The movie is 'Zero Hour'
...The movie 'Airplane' follows 'Zero Hour' fairly close...including the names of some characters etc...It even includes the one guy saying "I picked the wrong week to quit smoking"...and BTW don't eat the fish...!