Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,322  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,323  
I like the "Earthquake Alert" app.
Here's a screenshot showing Iceland, 3.0+M in the past week.

Zoom in with same settings.
1163669203.jpg
1576467118.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,325  
I had been using the USGS pages

But for some reason , no activity in Iceland has been shown lately. Perhaps something at my end.

Thanks for the alternate!
The default search is US only, 2.5 and larger, and the global one is larger.
To search for a specific area, try the search page;

That allows global searches of any magnitude earthquake.
IMG_1160.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,326  
And in the vein... Decimated most correctly means to cut by a factor of 10 (deci=10...). Many people use it to mean totally destroyed.

And another from high school chem... Teacher used this example with Avogadro's number 6.02x10^23. Say you take 9 out of every ten atoms out from that number. You are still left with 6.02x10^22 which is still a huge number, and you just removed 90% of the atoms.

The original was to on the lines of 'remove one out of 10' "kill one out of 10" Used in WWI to "encourage" the troops. Picture a formation and the order "count off" and every 10th person knew he was doomed.

Illiterates began useing it wrongly until the real maaning is now#2 in the dictionary. I grates on my ears and eyes every time I see it used wrongly in speech or print.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,328  

c. 1600, "to select by lot and put to death every tenth man," from Latin decimatus, past participle of decimare "the removal or destruction of one-tenth," from decem "ten" (from PIE root *dekm- "ten").

The killing of one in ten, chosen by lots, from a rebellious city or a mutinous army was a punishment sometimes used by the Romans. The word has been used (loosely and unetymologically, to the irritation of pedants) since 1660s for "destroy a large but indefinite number of."

Bruce