Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,181  
Here's something about plants:
Allelopathy is the chemical inhibition of one plant (or other organism) by another, due to the release into the environment of substances acting as germination or growth inhibitors.
Black walnut trees naturally contain a chemical called juglone which can inhibit the growth of some plants.
Do not use leaves, bark or wood chips as mulch around sensitive plants. Materials should be composted and aged for at least six months before use. Some dead limbs are diseased, then chipped used as mulch carrying that disease to whatever it's put around.
Broccoli interferes with related crops such as cabbage or cauliflower. Garlic does also.
Here we have an invasive paradise tree or tree of heaven (should be heII). It kills off other plants to thrive itself.
We have a large Magnolia tree in front yard I've never been able to grow grass under.
Also cross-pollination. One year I planted squash near gourds. Plants within the same species can cross-pollinate. Cross-pollination can be seen in the (Cucurbita pepo) squashes and pumpkins. If that happens it can ruin making the edible one bitter and unedible.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,182  
The old folks around here taught me to pronounce guano "gyou-anna" it rhymed with "stew-anna". I was puzzled to hear the accepted pronunciation. Crayfish was even more of a surprise.
Interesting. Never heard that, before. It's just "gwan-oh", within the Philly/Jersey/NYC triangle.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,183  
F32A610A-CFD8-44FD-9A2D-88BD5700CF4E.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,185  
Ludwig van Beethoven had his first concert when he was six.

Beethoven went deaf at 48 or so and died when he was 58.

Recent DNA analysis suggests that he probably had a chronic hepatitis B infection, which probably lead to his liver problems (for which he had a genetic susceptibility) and deafness. The shocker for the van Beethoven relatives alive today in Belgium was that they aren't related due to an "extra pair paternity" event somewhere on Beethoven's father's side. The full story here;

EPP events turn out to be 1-4%/generation in Western Europe over the last 500 years; with lower rates at higher socioeconomic groups.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,186  
From a link above:

"If they lived in cities and were of the lower socioeconomic classes, the chances that there were EPP events in your family history are much higher than if they were farmers."
"The EPP rate was much lower among farmers and more well-to-do craftsmen and merchants (about 1%) than among lower class laborers and weavers (about 4%)."

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,188  
1853 George Brown corn planter
The first mechanical horse drawn check row planter. It included manual levers for dropping seed, and a jump seat for a second person to operate the levers. It could plant 16-20 acres/day. In 1878, the Brown company manufactured 8,000 planters.
I have a diary from my ggrandfather in 1883 where he talks about plowing, marking corn, planting, then dragging corn. It took, 3 days to mark, 4 days to plant, and two days to drag his corn for the year.

2.jpg 1.jpg

In 1864, a corn planter that used a knotted wire to trip the seed dropper was patented by two Aledo, Illinois men, John Thompson and John Ramsey. Only one man was needed to operate this type of planter, which became a Corn Belt standard by the 1870s and continued in use up into the 1950s. The 1959 farm inventory when my dad took over included a two row #999 Deere check row planter.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,189  
Since voodoo got mentioned a few page back, I work with a Cuban and he told me his mom is a voodoo and he truly believe it, it is true to him, he said if someone dose him wrong he never tell his mother since something terrible will happen to that person ... to believe or not its up to you, but along the same line in my family my grand father had the bloodstopping gift, he couldn't be in the barn when they where bleeding pigs for blood pudding since they would stop bedding. My mother can buy warts from people and they would disappear. One of my uncle related by marriage could stop the pain from a burn... my dad burn the whole top of his hand with a cutting torch to the second degree (the most painful burn) he thought of him and never felt a thing... (I cant find any article about the burn stopping gift) like the gift to find water (witching) these things are not science base and it seem like nowadays not too many people are aware or heard these things. The question is have you heard of these ''gifts'' ? and it is real or simply placebos effect, coincidence?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,190  
Since voodoo got mentioned a few page back, I work with a Cuban and he told me his mom is a voodoo and he truly believe it, it is true to him, he said if someone dose him wrong he never tell his mother since something terrible will happen to that person ... to believe or not its up to you, but along the same line in my family my grand father had the bloodstopping gift, he couldn't be in the barn when they where bleeding pigs for blood pudding since they would stop bedding. My mother can buy warts from people and they would disappear. One of my uncle related by marriage could stop the pain from a burn... my dad burn the whole top of his hand with a cutting torch to the second degree (the most painful burn) he thought of him and never felt a thing... (I cant find any article about the burn stopping gift) like the gift to find water (witching) these things are not science base and it seem like nowadays not too many people are aware or heard these things. The question is have you heard of these ''gifts'' ? and it is real or simply placebos effect, coincidence?

I believe there are some things we can't explain. Other times things are just coincidences. I do think that things like "buying warts" can work if your mind believes it enough.

Don't let MossRoad see your comment about water witching, however.