Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,981  
I'm in the logging boots with Carhartt khaki work shorts in summer crowd. If I get to embarrass the kids with this outfit in front of the high-brow neighbors, that's just a bonus.

View attachment 795024
I wear shorts for light work in the more domesticated part of my land but there's tons of burrs and foxtails and other seeds that just love to infect my socks so I go for the longer pants/bibs mostly, keeps stuff out of the top of my boots (fewer ant bites too, and less poison oak).

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,982  
I wear shorts for light work in the more domesticated part of my land but there's tons of burrs and foxtails and other seeds that just love to infect my socks so I go for the longer pants/bibs mostly, keeps stuff out of the top of my boots (fewer ant bites too, and less poison oak).
Same. When going into the woods, it's long pants (Carhartt or Dickie's heavy duck carpenter pants), no matter whether it's 5F or 95F outside. The shorts are great for doing anything not involving hornets and poison ivy, but they have their limitations.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,983  
This has nothing to do with wearing bibs. As for me, I only wear mine at the dinner table, helps keep my t-shirts clean.

New Mexico's Department of Transportation decided to spice up a desolate quarter-mile stretch of Route 66 between Albuquerque and Tijeras. Grooves were added in the road that play music when you drive over them going the speed limit of 45 mph. The grooves work just like the rumble strips, which vibrate your car if you drift out of your lane. These particular strips are positioned to create different pitches when you drive over them, and if you do, you can clearly hear "America the Beautiful" play through the vibrations in your car's wheels.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,984  
^^^^^^
That's definitely something I didn't know!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,987  
Here's someone I bet most people have never heard of...Pearl Fryar.
His parents were South Carolina sharecroppers and when he moved to a nice neighborhood in Bishopville the white neighbors wanted to block his purchase believing he would degrade the property.
He went to local nurseries and they gave him discarded plants which he restored to health. I had heard about him and years ago we visited his home. What an honor it was seeing it and meeting him in person. People would give him discarded junk which he turned into works of art. Seeing it in person is amazing. Now he's 86 and in poor health.
He was so proud telling us he's had visitors from around the world and his achievements in topiary skills are unparalleled.
2023_04_13_16.38.58.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.00.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.07.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.04.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.10.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.18.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.20.jpg
2023_04_13_16.35.13.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,988  
^^^^
Nice!!! Based on one of your pictures I'll bet that he also was a jazz player.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,989  
I remember many years ago seeing him on a TV talk show. The host had an evergreen potted plant. He said in 5 minutes I can make this $20 plant into a $100 one, and asked host to simply turn the container. As he did he brought electric shears up close to the trunk. In minutes it now was a beautiful spiral.
What occurred to me this modest fellow epitomized an interesting facet of the American way...a "throw away" person given throw away plants and junk turning his place into something exceeding all the neighbors places.
He found some discarded junk at the dump and he was making a water fountain out of it, ingenious with all these moving parts.
We got a private tour, and near our car he made a stand with a money jar. He said there's no admission and you don't have to put money in...it just helps with my electric bill and gasoline. Of course we put money in!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,990  
Another Pearl story he told us...years ago a tour bus stopped, group of seniors vacationing from the UK. One asked "how can you trim up so high?". "Extension ladders and prayer" he said. "Isn't there a better way?". "Yes, a boom lift...but they're too expensive" he replied. "$15,000".
One lady said wait a minute, goes back to bus. "Here you go...we took up a collection".
He refused...they insisted. When we were there we saw the boom lift!
Interesting story.