Tell me about Massey 135

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Thinking aboutt selling my 8N And getting a 135. I know where one is with a Perkins 3 cyl. gas engine,I know nothing about them. Are they a good motor?
It has live PTO, power sreering, 13.9 rear tires 75% but rims (spin out) will need replaced in a few years due to calcium. Needs paint but straight tin (exept for some dents in fenders), three speed with hi/low, typical dirty engine doesn't look to have been rebuilt. Proof meter shows 1700 hrs. but it might not work. I didn't have time to start it up & check out 3pt. or any thing. Asking $3500, opinions?

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #3  
Go to the SEARCH section at the top of this page and type in MF 135. There are several threads and posts in regards to the MF 135. Best wishes.

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #4  
Thinking aboutt selling my 8N And getting a 135. I know where one is with a Perkins 3 cyl. gas engine,I know nothing about them. Are they a good motor?
It has live PTO, power sreering, 13.9 rear tires 75% but rims (spin out) will need replaced in a few years due to calcium. Needs paint but straight tin (exept for some dents in fenders), three speed with hi/low, typical dirty engine doesn't look to have been rebuilt. Proof meter shows 1700 hrs. but it might not work. I didn't have time to start it up & check out 3pt. or any thing. Asking $3500, opinions?

In Jul06 I bought a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower for $3600. 4600 hours, engine rebuilt at 3000 hours. The engine is the Perkins AD3-152 diesel (3 cyl, 152 cubic inches displacement). These old Perkins diesels have an excellent reputation for durability. Don't know about the Perkins gassers.

It ran but needed a thorough cleaning (radiator fins were clogged with crud, etc), new fuel gauge, ammeter, rewiring. I repainted it. It's in my shop now with an oil leak somewhere on the engine and a leaking rear pto shaft seal.

MF135-1 (1).JPGMF135-2.JPGMF135-silver-1.JPGMF135-silver-2.JPG
MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

These photos may help you decide what that 135 you're eyeballing is worth.
Check it out for any leaks, funny noises in the engine/tranny, smoke coming out of the exhaust after running for 5-10 minutes, hard shifting to get the pto working.

Crawl under the tractor and locate the two weep holes on the bottom of the clutch housing. There may be loose fitting cotter pins in these holes or the pins may be missing and the holes clogged with crud. Take a piece of wire or a small twist drill to ream out the holes and watch for any oil leakage. A few drops is normal--a steady flow may mean that the rear main engine oil seal is bad.

Good luck

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #5  
A 135 is a heck of a lot more tractor than a 8n. A 135 has been called the best bushhogging tractor ever made. Perkins diesel is best but a gasser is good to. like any old tractor its individual condition that will tell if its worth it to you. FYI I have its older cousin a MF35 Deluxe for sale.... pm if you are interested.

Larry

/ Tell me about Massey 135
I hope to check it out better this weekend, I was pressed for time today. Everyone seems to like the Perkins diesel,I hope the gas is just as good. If it runs strong & everything works it is not to bad a deal considering what N fords are bringing. I will have to sell mine to get the funds to buy it though.

/ Tell me about Massey 135
I listed my 8N on c-list this morning,Then went out to disc up some more garden. Five minuts into it and the radiator started leaking. I guess better now than right after I sell it. So I put it in the shop, deleted the add and apoligized for wanting to sell her. But the damage is done, close to $200 for a new radiator.
Bucktaker, I will check with you befor I buy. But for now I need to fix mine so I can sell it.

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #8  
Good simple tractor not much to go wrong , multipower could be a bit of an added complication.

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #9  
You cant really go wrong with the 135, but mine is a diesel...no experience with the petrol motor. These little tractors are a legend. Mine is 69'er, no idea of the hours ( but no smoking ), and I bought it after it had been used to launch boats into seawater for years.
There was white sludge in the transmission!! I changed the oil, fixed a few minor things and now use it regularly to tow a large harrow, mulching up tree cuttings, fertiliser spreading and towing. Starts first time. Mine cost me $4500 NZ dollars, thats about USD 3400 at the farm gate.

/ Tell me about Massey 135 #10  
I've owned two MF 35s with Perkins diesels and one 135 with the Perkins gasoline engine in the past. I also own two VERY good 12 speed 8Ns and a 2007 MF 533, the last rendition of the 35/135.

The 135, especially the later versions are regarded as one of the very best small utility tractors built by anyone. A decent one will do nearly twice the work that an 8N will do.

The Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine is a converted diesel and rugged as a tank, though the anti dieseling solenoid in the carburetor can be problematic and the power steering system can be expensive to repair.

SDT