Telecom wires under future driveway.

/ Telecom wires under future driveway. #1  

homedad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT
I'm at the beginning of my new home on a 5 acre narrow and long wooded property. I was considering putting in the driveway myself. I have the permit and had the underground utilities marked. I just realized that the telecom wires are running under the only place that I can put the driveway. The bigger issue is that the driveway needs to be cut into a hill as the incline is about 3-4' above the paved road and only 10' from the edge of the road. I believe that the wires are in that hill exactly where I need to lower the hill for a gradual slope. At this rate the wires would probably be at my knees after I cut into the hill. Does the utility cut the wire and trench it under the driveway before I dig or after I dig?

/ Telecom wires under future driveway.
It's 2 companies and neither seems to know what's going on. To complicate things I don't have an address yet and the utility didn't provide any contact information when they marked the line. I suppose if I get frustrated enough cutting the line would get some action.

/ Telecom wires under future driveway. #4  
It's 2 companies and neither seems to know what's going on. To complicate things I don't have an address yet and the utility didn't provide any contact information when they marked the line. I suppose if I get frustrated enough cutting the line would get some action.
It will certainly "get some action".

From working at a telecom myself, you would be hip deep in a lot of (expensive) trouble.

If they pushed it, they can come after you for any and all "downtime" related to the outage that you caused. Including costs of all associated repairs.

My advice would be to "not to".

/ Telecom wires under future driveway.
That would definitely be a last resort'

/ Telecom wires under future driveway. #9  
Sounds like to me you need to first establish what my state calls a 911 address. I don't remember what department does that but the water company would be able to tell you.

Then I'd call the county road department and see if they can help you establish a driveway at that address. Assuming it's a county road I think usually they provide the driveway to road junction access, no idea who foots the bill though.

/ Telecom wires under future driveway. #10  
Especially if it turns out to be fiberoptic line. A company here in north Idaho cut a major fiber line when putting in new shopping center. It was marked, the dug anyways. Paper reported a $125,000 repair was billed to contractor.

Last edited: