Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning

/ Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning #11  
I have a TroyBilt riding mower, and the engine will die if I have the blades engaged and shifter in reverse. There must be a safety switch that doesn't allow me to mow in reverse. Maybe your MTD has the same system and the switch is stuck closed?

Patrick
It would be stuck open, that's the fail safe mode.
When you press the "RIO" (Reverse Implement Operation) button you actually close the circuit to allow the engine to run with the blades on when in reverse. It's a safety thing.
If a wire were to ever get cut or damaged, the circuit would be open and couldn't be closed (Fails safe).

/ Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning #12  
My Cub Cadet has a seat and a reverse safety switch as well as a brake switch that will kill the blades and sometimes the engine if any of the switches are tripped. I would check every one of them to make sure they are operating properly.

/ Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning #13  
Mine doesn't have any buttons and the PTO engagement is a lever that tensions the belt with a idler pulley arm. Nonetheless, I believe we have given the OP a better understanding of what to look for when troubleshooting. That's good!

Patrick

/ Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning
I got pictures of the engine

Attachments

• 20240222_160344.jpg
    20240222_160344.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240222_160359.jpg
    20240222_160359.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 29
   / Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning
It would be stuck open, that's the fail safe mode.
When you press the "RIO" (Reverse Implement Operation) button you actually close the circuit to allow the engine to run with the blades on when in reverse. It's a safety thing.
If a wire were to ever get cut or damaged, the circuit would be open and couldn't be closed (Fails safe).
where is the butoon for the rio

/ Tekumseh enginge shuts down when blades start spinning #16