Teflon impregnated bronze bushings

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #1  

CajunRider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45
I'm tired of pumping grease into grease zerks all over my tractors. This past weekend I had to replace the hydraulic cylinders on my FEL. Surplus supply were selling them cheap but the only problem was that the ends were 1 1/4" diameter instead of 1" on the old cylinders. Plus the ends didn't have the grease fitting. Instead of drilling the ends and tapping for the grease zerk fittings, I bought 1 1/4"x1" self lubricating Teflon impregnated bushing. Every thing fits like a charm and no more grease zerk fittings (at least for my FEL).

I checked with the maintenance engineers in my department. He said there's no down side to this solution. What's your thought?

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #2  
buy a spare set of bushings, that should make the first set last forever...

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #3  
Try but remember greasing also purges grit from the joint and the theory is that the grease film prevents metal to metal contact under design loads. If all the different bushing designs that eliminate greasing worked 100% the companies would have eliminated grease type bushings decades ago because they spend a lot of money on he drilling and cross drilling just to get grease to a joint.

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #4  
Once the bronze bushing starts to gall it will snow ball quickly. Will the bronze take the loads induced without extruding? I am not a mechanical engineer so this may not be a concern.

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #5  
Try but remember greasing also purges grit from the joint and the theory is that the grease film prevents metal to metal contact under design loads. If all the different bushing designs that eliminate greasing worked 100% the companies would have eliminated grease type bushings decades ago because they spend a lot of money on he drilling and cross drilling just to get grease to a joint.

I agree...it might work for a good long time, but as much as the grease acting as a purge, it's also sealing that gap somewhat so as not to allow dirt in as much either. I think your bushings will wear rather quickly for the pressures of loader work, but as long as you keep an eye on them, and replace them when needed, you should be OK. Myself, I'll stick with the pain of greasing/wiping off the excess/trying to get the grease out of my clothes, my hair, my face and my hands, all of which seem to be unintended places it finds it's way onto...LOL

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #6  
Once the bronze bushing starts to gall it will snow ball quickly. Will the bronze take the loads induced without extruding? I am not a mechanical engineer so this may not be a concern.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #7  
I don't think you'll have any problems at all. Here at work we use bronze with graphite impregnated bushing for everything. They take more force than anything your tractor could possibly throw at it and hold up fairly well under horrible conditions.

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings
I'll keep an eye out and see but for now I'm happy I don't need to grease those zerks.

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #9  
I don't mind greasing. It forces the crap out like was said and it forces me to have a look in spots I don't normally look at....Mike

/ Teflon impregnated bronze bushings #10  
I haven't seen teflon filled bronze but teflon, itself, is very soft and tends to crush easily under a load. Teflon also will absorb grit and hold it almost like sandpaper. I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you.