TC48/55 Hydraulic filter inspection

/ TC48/55 Hydraulic filter inspection #1  

IH3444

Veteran Member
I cut open my hydraulic filter by turning it on a lathe and parting it close to the base. Upon examining it I found out that it weren't all that dirty inside, and there were areas of the filter material which wasn't coated yet with the darkness. The darker part was only just a discoloration, and virtually there was no build up of any filtered product. NH must run one clean manufacturing facility, and machining factory. I also found it to be of an extremely high quality in construction. What I haven't been able to find is the two magnets that are described in the shop manual which states that two magnets are inside the filter, and a series of four magnets spaced 90 degrees apart around the sump strainer. I was entertaining the idea of removing the sump strainer at 300 hours, and cleaning the magnets, and strainer, but after seeing how clean the filter is, and how brand new the fluid looks which came out I'm thinking it would be a waste of time. I would like to see if the filter actually has two long magnets running along the case of the filter as depicted in the shop manual pictures, but am now wondering if they exist at all. Overall I am extremely pleased with how clean everything is after reading other forums and how dirty their filters and hydraulic fluid was upon the 50 hour service. Does anyone know who makes the NH TC48/55 hydraulic filter? Is it Donaldson? It is one huge can, with quality filter media inside. :)

/ TC48/55 Hydraulic filter inspection #2  
That filter I believe has been subed all ready so it may not have the magnets in it as described. I would also expect that it is made on the state side by Fleet guard this is where most of our filters come from.