TC45DA Test Drive

/ TC45DA Test Drive #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Gonna hop on a used TC45DA tomorrow afternoon - 220 hours - 3 years old - awesome shape, FEL + QA bucket. They are asking $21500.
I'll let you know where the cards fall.

/ TC45DA Test Drive #2  
If that tractor is showroom clean, the price is about $2000 high. The tractor has no warranty and it has been used for 220 hours (-$3000 because of no warranty and -$3300 for the hours). Would you rent me a brand new tractor for $15 per hour? That's what $3300 is. I think I know the answer.:rolleyes:

I would offer $19,500 if it is being sold by an individual and $20,000 tops if being sold by a dealer. I might go up a little if it is being offered by a dealer and they will throw in a full service with hydraulic oil and filter change included. I'm thinking the tractor is worth about $6000 less than new. As long as it is maintained properly, it will hold its value pretty well for about two more years and then drop at a rate of about $1000 per year until it reaches about $10k to $12k where it will bottom out and maintain it's value for many years after that.

/ TC45DA Test Drive
If that tractor is showroom clean, the price is about $2000 high. The tractor has no warranty and it has been used for 220 hours (-$3000 because of no warranty and -$3300 for the hours). Would you rent me a brand new tractor for $15 per hour? That's what $3300 is. I think I know the answer.:rolleyes:

I would offer $19,500 if it is being sold by an individual and $20,000 tops if being sold by a dealer. I might go up a little if it is being offered by a dealer and they will throw in a full service with hydraulic oil and filter change included. I'm thinking the tractor is worth about $6000 less than new. As long as it is maintained properly, it will hold its value pretty well for about two more years and then drop at a rate of about $1000 per year until it reaches about $10k to $12k where it will bottom out and maintain it's value for many years after that.
Right there with you jinman - remember the drama back in the spring with the used one I looked at then... Not rushing here... good and fair deals are the name of the game.
This is at a dealer - and it is VERY clean. It's supposed to have all the service records with it too - bought there, guy used it 2 years - mainly snow blowing - got cold - traded on a cab model.
A brand new 2320 (3045 - depending on the hood sticker) is going for $27,800 with loaded tires like this tractor has. This used one has ag tires on it - which is a plus in my usage.
Another dealer has a used TC45 in the area - same hours - R4's - front and rear remotes already - and had it at the farm show for a LOT less cash... this guy knows about it because I sent him over to look at it - and he still wants to talk to me tonight... so I'm guessing he's planning on moving price wise. If not - I understand and I'll go look at the other one which is less desirable to me, mainly because of the distance to the dealer... that said - I can put $600 into my trailer to get it on the road again and not give a RIP where the dealer is located ;)

/ TC45DA Test Drive #4  
Jinman's advice looks sound, and of interest to me, because I also own a 2006 SuperSteer TC45 that had 150 hours on when purchased. It came with the balance of the warranty and I extended that to 5 years. It was a lease-return tractor. I understand that dealers get these leases at a very good discount. Mine was 6 months old at time of purchase and I paid $21,000 with FEL and QA Bucket.

At 220 hours you have a practically new tractor at a very substanial savings. I hope you end up with a TC45, you will not regret it. And, it is good for us to know that these tractor reach a respectable $10-12K value, rather than continuing to a much lower values, like most cars.

My local dealer says that currently used tractor prices have been depressed by the 0 % financing that is available for the new ones. This is true because most of his buyers finance, and at 0% the monthly payment is not much different than that on a used tractor, where the rate is more like 10%.

/ TC45DA Test Drive
The test drive went very well - stout and powerful machine... Not a SuperSteer.
As I said before - they took it in on trade - that was mid-July. All fluids and filters were changed then (they marked the date and hours on the filters - great idea). Console, switches, all controles and safety switches engage and disengage correctly. Cold started fine (80 degree day). Loader worked great - attacked a dirt pile. Both transmission ranges work, as does FWD and did the rabbit/hare buttons in either range. Individual wheel brakes are strong. PTO engages. Nothing seems beat up on the tractor... the proposed deal is to drop the existing bucket off the loader, install a QA plate and a QA bucket.
Included in the proposed deal is a brand new 6' Bush Hog brand rotary cutter.
$22K - all in. Based on what I have seen around here for used prices for equiptment at either dealers or classifieds (craigslist) - I'm happy with that price.
All that said - I did discover what "may be" a small oil leak in a bearing seal on the front of the engine - behind the main pully that runs the alternator, water pump and fan. So - the offer is dependant on the outcome of the findings today. Their mechanics are going to take a look and I get to make the final determination... there wasn't a "lot" of oil in the area, and what was there is the old oil + dirt stuff - so it could be from something else long ago... That said - it's not like there is a fill spout, dip stick, or anything else up there that could have burped out - for there to be oil there it had to come from somewhere.

/ TC45DA Test Drive #6  
Sounds like a heck of a deal with the cutter and the new QA mount and bucket.:)

What often is the source of leaks near the top/front of the engine is the power steering reservoir that sits abouve the engine when you lift the hood. The hose clamps don't seem to be that good and they sometimes seep. It doesn't take much oil to spread out and "grow" a dust beard. I know this because mine does exactly that. The air from the fan can carry that oil everywhere.

/ TC45DA Test Drive
Sounds like a heck of a deal with the cutter and the new QA mount and bucket.:)

What often is the source of leaks near the top/front of the engine is the power steering reservoir that sits abouve the engine when you lift the hood. The hose clamps don't seem to be that good and they sometimes seep. It doesn't take much oil to spread out and "grow" a dust beard. I know this because mine does exactly that. The air from the fan can carry that oil everywhere.

I didn't see oil at the top - but I wasn't looking there - rather bottom around the big pulley... BUT - I can certainly see how (and physically saw where) the oil up there was thrown everywhere by the fan. I suppose that if the power steering leaked when the tractor was running it would go all over the place - and when not running - might drip down to lower points and make them look like the source.
It was minimal and OLD too - so - like I said - I don't know where the source might be... but they are degreasing, cleaning and then running the tractor for a while today... we will see what - if anything - develops.
Here's to hoping it's nothing... but ready for anything.

/ TC45DA Test Drive
Well - first phone call from the dealer:
"Mechanic tightened a line coupling on the bottom of the power steering reservoir - they are famous for leaking. he went a full 3/4 turn before it started to get tight."
They are still degreasing and cleaning - then running on PTO idle speed for 30 minutes - letting it cool down and then searching for any leak at all.
Ok - I'll admit it now - someone is getting a little excited...

/ TC45DA Test Drive #10  
is this a cab model or a platform model?