TC45D FEL question

/ TC45D FEL question #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
The new to me TC45D is an amazing tractor - and every time i get on it and use it I discover more things to like.

One thing I figured folks here could answer for me is something I have seen I'm not a super fan of. I have th NH FEL on this tractor with the QA plate and bucket. No issues with lifting or curling the bucket - super capacity and the tractor moves a full load of gravel like there's nothing up there... however, when I dump and then angle the bucket down to grade in reverse the bucket has about 3" of "slop" in it. SO - I curl down to give me the edge, lower the bucket into the gravel pile I just dumped and then step on reverse to grade it out... the bucket will - without me touching the joystick - roll about 3" forward making the edge go away and not be very effective at grading things out. I can then re-adjust the bucket edge and it will hold...

So - just checking to make sure this little bit o slop is normal.

I remember a Deere backhoe I used once had this sort of thing.

/ TC45D FEL question #2  
Are you pushing the loader joystick so far forward that you are going into "float" with the bucket? With the bucket level on the ground, my TC40D with QuickTach will lift the front wheels off the ground by dumping the bucket further.

/ TC45D FEL question #3  
mine does that too.
it's normal
just use more of an angle to back drag than you think you need.

/ TC45D FEL question #4  
I've greased my FEL like crazy since I bought my tractor, and it still has that 3" of slop due to the bushings in the joints becoming loose. If the hydraulic cylinder hooked directly to the QA plate, it would make the loader a lot tighter by eliminating so many elbows and pivots, but it would limit the curl and dump angles too. I've learned to live with the slop and just adjust curl to compensate when I backdrag. If I want a more stable edge, I use the heel of the bucket to backdrag, but that is only useful to the point where the front wheels pop off the ground like DocHeb pointed out. Our loaders are so strong that they can lift the front wheels like the tractor is a featherweight.

/ TC45D FEL question #5  
When dumping the bucket with a full load, the bucket can move faster than oil can get into the back of the cylinders. This creates a vacuum in the back cylinder that cases the backlash in the bucket you are experiencing. I have this problem on my case LX116 FEL which I assume is the same as the NH.

/ TC45D FEL question
Thanks all - yeah - I figured it was the nature of the loader (and no kidding this thing is all tank in it's capacity) - just making sure.

**** - this is one amazing machine. I LOVE it! So much more tractor than the similar size Orange or Green.

/ TC45D FEL question #7  
When dumping the bucket with a full load, the bucket can move faster than oil can get into the back of the cylinders. This creates a vacuum in the back cylinder that cases the backlash in the bucket you are experiencing. I have this problem on my case LX116 FEL which I assume is the same as the NH.

I agree with this assessment 100%. The best way to "overcome" this is to hold the joystick till the bucket stops-sending the system into relief for a few seconds.

Read more HERE

Last edited:
   / TC45D FEL question #8  
The new to me TC45D is an amazing tractor - and every time i get on it and use it I discover more things to like.

One thing I figured folks here could answer for me is something I have seen I'm not a super fan of. I have th NH FEL on this tractor with the QA plate and bucket. No issues with lifting or curling the bucket - super capacity and the tractor moves a full load of gravel like there's nothing up there... however, when I dump and then angle the bucket down to grade in reverse the bucket has about 3" of "slop" in it. SO - I curl down to give me the edge, lower the bucket into the gravel pile I just dumped and then step on reverse to grade it out... the bucket will - without me touching the joystick - roll about 3" forward making the edge go away and not be very effective at grading things out. I can then re-adjust the bucket edge and it will hold...

So - just checking to make sure this little bit o slop is normal.

I remember a Deere backhoe I used once had this sort of thing.

Hello, Fishpick. I realize this is about 3 months old but Jinman sent me here after I posted a question in the general forums. I have a TC35A with a 16LA and have the problem. My local dealer says it's because the "fluid is moving too rapidly" and the solution is to put a "restrictor on the hydraulics". I didn't like that answer and came here. After some playing with the system I found this: if I rollout the bucket SLOWLY in the first position to the right the bucket does not roll back, if I roll the bucket out rapidly in the first position I get at least three inches of cylinder compression before it "bites". If I roll the bucket out rapidly in the second position (the "fast-dump" position") I do not get the slop/compression on the cylinders. This occurs regardless of whether I have a load on the bucket or not. It's frustrating but, until I find a permanent solution I either dump it slow in the first position or fast in the regen/fast-dump position. I'm still not sure why, when the system should be applying fluid to the extend position of the cylinders and there is no load it would draw a vacuum on the extend position of the cylinders (creating the void that you see close when the cylinders compress) but it does. My boom lift/lower cylinders do not experience this problem, nor (seemingly) does the bucket roll-in sides).

FWIW.

--HC