TC40D Price/Gut Check

/ TC40D Price/Gut Check #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Hey, all! I've been lurking about for the past few months absorbing the experience and wisdom of the NH forums and want to thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions. And now I want to ask you all to evaluate the following:

I'm ready to buy - I have my list of needs, I have the financing, and I have the wife's approval.

I've negotiated a $20,000 even price with an authorized NH dealer on a TC40D lease return. It has 31 hours and has been out 6 months (so the warranty will be 18 month/30 month powertrain.)

TC40D with loaded R4's
Rear single spool hydraulic
16LA loader with bucket
Quick attach plate
Q/A pallet forks
Grill guard
Bucket tooth bar
Owner's/Parts/Service manuals
Set of filters

The tilt/telescope steering wheel clamp and a parking brake adjustment are going to be done under warranty. They are going ahead and changing the engine oil and pressure testing the hydraulic/hydrostatic systems. In addition, they are checking the PTO under stress (using a dynamometer(?)) to address my concern of never being used (it still has the plastic cover on the PTO). Plus, they are delivering it 45 miles and demonstrating its usage in depth to me.

My nagging worries are:
Lack of clutch (even at 41 years, I'm stuck in my ways)
Joystick durability (both the shaft and the electronic switch for turtle/rabbit)
Hydrostatic transmission durability (I have been specifying shuttles in my RFP's, but this one costs less than the bids I have been receiving for new gear Boomers.)

Unless I hear something very bad, I will go sign the papers next week. What do you think?

Mark

/ TC40D Price/Gut Check #2  
Mark,
It sure sounds like a fair deal to me. The tractor alone seems like a good deal for the money, the quick attach and excesories are a bonus. Just my 2 cents worth

/ TC40D Price/Gut Check #4  
The plastic cover is supposed to be on the pto to protect the shaft when the pto is not in use.

Enjoy the hydro.

Sounds like a good price.

/ TC40D Price/Gut Check #5  
Considering all the extras you are getting a very good deal on this tractor. You should also know that the joystick is going to break. If you've followed the NH forums, you surely know most of the tractor's "gotchas" and they can be a nuisance, but you'll probably have some problems on any tractor you buy. I also think you will like the hydrostatic tranny for its convenience. If you aren't primarily doing ag work, the HST is the best choice. I'd take the deal if I were you. One thing does seem unusual. Why would a lease return only have 35 hours? That almost sounds like someone changed their mind.