TC40D doesn't want to start

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #1  

DVerbarg

Platinum Member
Tractor
No longer have :-(
TC40D doesn\'t want to start

Hmmm,

After a few weeks of no use I went out this weekend to do some mowing and the TC40D would not start. The battery was totally worn down. Figured the kids must have been playing and turned some lights on but all the switches were in the off position. Figured, oh well the kids must have turned the switches back to the off position. Charged the battery and all the dash lights now work, along with the head lights and work light but the engine won't crank. It acts like a safety switch is tripped but can't find anything wrong.

Using a DMM I checked the seat switch, PTO engagement switcha and brake switch. Not sure where to check for the transmission engagement (hst transmission), must be some type of internal switch.

When I turn the key to the start position, after the initial "pre-heat" cycle, nothing happens. No clicks, no flickering of lights, nada.

Checked the main 40 amp fuse in line with the starter and it appears ok.

Any ideas? Hate to have to call the dealer for on-site service if it is a relatively easy fix. Help!

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #2  
Re: TC40D doesn\'t want to start

Dave, when this happens on my 25D, I keep the key in the start position and start wiggling/moving the levers on the driver's left side. Most of the time, it's one of the PTO levers that looks like it's in the right position, but it's not.

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #3  

Not certain on your tractor, but my hst switch is under the left fender, move the lever and look underneath, if the swithes are there you should be able to see them. Sometimes I have to flick the switch up and down as it gets stuck once in a while.

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #4  

Check the 7.5 amp fuse #2 (second from left) in the fuseholder behind the tach/ instrument panel. if blown, contact your dealer about replacing the fuse with an 8 amp circuitbreaker.

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #5  

I had a similar situation with my Deere. Took the battery to an auto parts dealer for analysis. Auto parts machine said the battery was defective -- that is, it wasn't taking a charge.

Importantly, my lights and other low amp gadgets worked fine -- just couldn't turn it over after charging.

Buck

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #6  

Same thing happened on my TC45D, though battery still had a charge at the time. Like you, I replaced the main fuse to no avail......Like Rick suggested, once I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse under panel started right up.

IndianaPaul

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #7  

While you are looking under the left fender make sure none of the wires connecting to the levers have come loose. Shortly after I got my 33D last year it would not start. I looked under the left fender and a wire was disconnected at a connector and the two ends were dangling. I reconnected the wires and the tractor started right up.

/ TC40D doesn't want to start

Rick,

You were right about the fuse. Replaced it and when I tried starting the fuse "blew" again. There are no markings on the fuse block, what is it for? There must be something wrong in whatever circuit it is meant to protect. Guess it might be time to purchase the service manuals.

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #9  

dverbarg,

that fuse feeds the operator safety stuff ( switches ), fuel solenoid, and cruise.

the books are screwy... the written specs say 8 amp circuit breaker... the schematic shows a 7.5 amp fuse. my TC35D has a 7.5 amp fuse.

after sitting for a time...I'd be concerned about mice!! maybe they chomped on something and you got a short ?!

good luck

/ TC40D doesn't want to start #10  

I too would suspect a short. Could also be the relay that all these switches drive could have gone bad, essentially developed an internal short, and it is drawing too much current. I'd follow the circuits using the wiring diagrams that came in your owner's manual. The symbology takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, the diagrams are pretty helpful and accurate.