Oil & Fuel tc35 fuel gauge problem

/ tc35 fuel gauge problem #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
I have a tc35 that I bought in 2004. Love the machine, and it has not given me any problems at all. About two weeks ago, my fuel gauge started acting erratically. Previously, the gauge showed the actual fuel level consistently whether at rest or when at work. Now, when the tractor is idling, I get a consistent reading, but when I begin to drive around, the needle jumps back and forth between empty and the actual fuel level. I've check all the electrical connections under the instrument cluster; no dirt or water in connections. It could be a fault in the actual wire hookup, I suppose, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else out there have this problem? Did you fix it and how?

thanks

/ tc35 fuel gauge problem #2  
jedjoe said:
I have a tc35 that I bought in 2004. Love the machine, and it has not given me any problems at all. About two weeks ago, my fuel gauge started acting erratically. Previously, the gauge showed the actual fuel level consistently whether at rest or when at work. Now, when the tractor is idling, I get a consistent reading, but when I begin to drive around, the needle jumps back and forth between empty and the actual fuel level. I've check all the electrical connections under the instrument cluster; no dirt or water in connections. It could be a fault in the actual wire hookup, I suppose, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else out there have this problem? Did you fix it and how?

thanks

Joe, my fuel gage on my 2001 model tractor has always been a little jumpy. It has never been consistent as an auto fuel gage. The level fluctuates somewhat as I drive around over rough ground.

That said, I suppose NH could have changed the circuit to improve the gage's response and you are seeing that circuit degrading. Not sure...
I checked my Repair manual and it had some electrical readings for a quick test.

1. If you remove the instrument panel, check between pins 14 and 24 with an ohmeter. The reading should be 302-352 ohms. (This is for a gear type "non-deluxe" gage. The TC35D has a slightly different reading.)

2. If you remove the cover in the middle of the fuel tank (behind the seat), you will see two terminals. If you remove the wire, you can check for proper operation of the fuel level float inside the tank by reading the resistance between those two terminals. You'll have to remove the wires to get an accurate reading with the ohmeter. When the tank is empty, the resistance should be 245-250 ohms. When the tank is full, it should be 32-34 ohms. I don't know if it is linear, but if the tank is partially full, you can approximate the reading.

Nothing in my book says anything about the gage operating smoothly or it having a smoothing circuit. I really don't know what to tell you about why yours has suddenly become more erratic. I think NH could have done a better job with the fuel gage, but the one I have is far better than using a dipstick like I did on my old tractor.:)

/ tc35 fuel gauge problem #3  
I had to replace my gauge once already. Now I have to do it again. $54 for the new gauge. I love my tractor, but it's like a Chrysler car, always something to fix on it.

Good Luck.