Oil & Fuel TC33D oil light at low RPMs?

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #1  

BigE_

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, LT4000
I finally got a chance today to work on the new (to me) tractor and play with it for a few hours.

The issue with the hour meter turned out to be pretty simple -- someone had taken the dash apart, pulled the hour meter, and broken the wires going to it. I could also see scratch marks, etc., on the dial where it was obvious they were trying to run the clock back. Interestingly enough, I could easily run the clock backwards by hand, but it took me a couple of minutes to take a couple of hours off the clock, so who knows how many hours the tractor *really* has. I soldered the wires back in place, and now have a working hour meter.

Once I got the dash put back together, I ran the tractor for a few hours, just practicing using the loader, scooping out some high spots in the woods, and then back dragging to level them out. After about 20 minutes or so I got the hang of it and things were running pretty good.

After about an hour of running the tractor, I remembered I was going to hit all of the grease zerks, so drove it back down to the house to do so. I've heard you're supposed to idle down a diesel before shutting it off, so I proceeded to do so.

I discovered that when the RPMs are below about 1500, the oil light comes on. Idle is around 800 RPMs, so that can't be a good thing. I didn't notice this when I test drove the tractor, but then again, I found that someone had screwed up the contacts on the oil light bulb so it wouldn't come on. :mad: When I put the dash back together, I fixed the oil light bulb.

I'm really starting to wonder how much of a lemon I bought in to.....

It's a pretty simple circuit for the oil light. Should I just order a new sending unit? I'm thinking maybe I'll replace the sending unit / light combo with an actual pressure gauge. Thoughts?

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs?
Update: While greasing the zerks, I noticed I had fluid leaking out of one of the FEL quick disconnects. I pulled it apart and found a rough spot on the inside, which is likely why it was leaking. I cleaned it out really well and put it back together, and the leak stopped, but it looks like I'll need to replace this.

After greasing it up, I was using the FEL to pick up a stump (about 50 lbs worth). I was facing downhill on about a 15 degree slope. I was lifting and curling the loader while at the same time had the HST in reverse, and all of a sudden the engine started sputtering and then just died. I know absolutely nothing about diesels, but if it had been a gas engine, I'd have said it ran out of gas. I let it sit there for a few seconds, then started it back up. Granted, I was on an incline, and the fuel gauge says I have about 1/4 of a tank of diesel left....

I had been running the engine at about 2000 RPMs. After this incident, the tractor seemed sluggish, and I had to increase the RPMs to 2600 and move from II to I to get out of there.

I parked it for a while, then tried again, and it still seems a bit sluggish, especially in reverse, but I can't tell if I've just gotten used to driving it around and am no longer so cautious.

Should I be worried?

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #3  
Probably the sending unit. You could check it with a gauge for peace of mind before replacing it, or just go for a gauge full time. Always nice to see exactly whats happening.
larry

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #4  
In your other thread, you mention you forgot to get a fuel filter. It sounds
like you either have a dirty fuel filter or more likely from my experience water
in the fuel. Try cleaning out the sediment bulb, replace the fuel filter and
make sure you have good clean fuel and use a good fuel treatment additive.
On my TC18, loosing RPMs when running on an incline is the first sure sign that
I have some water in the sediment bulb.

Guy.

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #5  
BigE_ said:
I had been running the engine at about 2000 RPMs. After this incident, the tractor seemed sluggish, and I had to increase the RPMs to 2600 and move from II to I to get out of there.

I parked it for a while, then tried again, and it still seems a bit sluggish, especially in reverse, but I can't tell if I've just gotten used to driving it around and am no longer so cautious.

Should I be worried?

Did you check the transmission oil level ??

Vic

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #6  
guyw said:
In your other thread, you mention you forgot to get a fuel filter. It sounds
like you either have a dirty fuel filter or more likely from my experience water
in the fuel. Try cleaning out the sediment bulb, replace the fuel filter and
make sure you have good clean fuel and use a good fuel treatment additive.
On my TC18, loosing RPMs when running on an incline is the first sure sign that
I have some water in the sediment bulb.

Guy.

Guy, I agree with you and would only add that it is also easy to have sediment inside the fuel tank that can block the flow of fuel, especially when the level is low and on and incline where the entire fuel feed adapter inside the tank might not be submerged in the fuel. I'd do a filter change and cleanup as you suggested and fill the tank to 1/2 or greater. Then, I'd go back and operate on the same hill to see if the engine died again or the problem had been solved.

Ed, it is unfortunate that you got a "messed with" tractor. It sounds like you are doing a great job of curing all its ills. As suggested, I'd replace the pressure sending unit or temporarily put a direct reading pressure gage on there to see exactly what the pressure is. Of course, you also need to know what the normal idle oil pressure is. That might take a box of donuts delivered to your dealer's service manager to find out.;)

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #7  
I would check the oil pressure item before useing any more. A temp. guage at the sending unit location would be a good spot to mount the guage to check the pressure. Low oil pressure at idle can mean alot of things. May even be the wrong oil in it. After reading all your posts, I would be changing ALL fluids and filters to make sure proper fluids are in it. If they messed with hour guage and oil light, they may have changed fluids and dumped in the cheapest fluid they could find.
Good luck.

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs?
Thanks for all of the replies.

SPYDERLK, yes, I think I'll buy a pressure gauge. I read elsewhere that HF has a working unit for around $5. This at least will tell me if I have further problems.

guyw, good suggestion on cleaning out the sediment bulb. (Now I just have to find it, and figure out how to do that, but that's why I bought the service manual). No, I haven't purchased a fuel filter yet -- waiting for my parking brake cable to come in and I'll pick them both up at the same time.

kozak,
Yes, I've checked the HST fluid level. It looks brand new, and is in the middle of the checked mark.

jinman,
Thanks for the suggestion on filling the tank back up before trying again. I did actually try the same hill again without doing anything else yesterday, and it didn't die on me, etc. I've never purchased diesel before, so I need to find someplace that sells the red diesel to avoid the taxes.

There was another thread on here that mentioned the NH pressure should be in the range of 40-60 lbs, and it probably says what it should be in the service manual someplace. If I can't find it elsewhere, I'll bug the dealer. God knows I've been going there often enough lately.

dqdave1,
I'm trending toward the path you're suggesting. The yankee cheapskate in me doesn't like spending the $200 on changing oil that looks brand new, but who knows what they put in it. OTOH, the guy I bought it from sells large construction equipment as his main job, so I would hope his dad would know what fluids to put in. But, sending unit definitely needs checking out.

Once again, thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try them and post back with the results.

-Steve

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #9  
Fuel (sediment) bowl is where the fuel filter is located on right side ( sitting on seat). Shut off tank supply and it should just unscrew off. Adding a fuel additive would be a good move. I add a small amount of power service from wal mart to EVERY tank fillup. I change fuel filter every 100 hours. When you change fuel filter, you may need to bleed injector pump. Screw is located on top of injector pump. Manual will show you where it is. I beleive your unit uses NH134a fluid in hydro unit. Don't forget to change antifreeze solution in it also . A little spray of WD 40 on linkages under fenders ( ranges, 4 wheel, pto and 3 pt ) helps them work easier also.

/ TC33D oil light at low RPMs? #10  
BigE_ said:
...and the fuel gauge says I have about 1/4 of a tank of diesel left....
As a new diesel owner, you should be aware it is a real pain to get the tractor restarted if you run out of fuel. My practice is to always refill the tank when I am done for the day. Having a full tank also reduces condensation. If I am using the tractor enough to have to refill, I do not let the tank get lower than one third before I fill up.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New MIVA Excavator Auger (A34302)
New MIVA Excavator...
NEW EASY KLEEN MAGNUM GOLD PRESSURE WASHER powered by gas engine, equipped with 4000PSI, 12Volt, (A34907)
NEW EASY KLEEN...
1997 FORD SUPERDUTY SERVICE TRUCK, S/N 3FELF47F4VMA14329, PWR STROKE ENG, 5 SPD TRANS, OD READS (A34808)
1997 FORD...
2024 AGT L12R Mini Excavator (A33249)
2024 AGT L12R Mini...
2010 Komatsu WA380 Wheel Loader (A34033)
2010 Komatsu WA380...
New Idea 5409 Disc Mower (A34302)
New Idea 5409 Disc...