TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #1  

BigE_

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, LT4000
I recently had to replace the head gasket on my TC33D, so I decided to film the process. I didn't film the tear down, but I did film the build up. I'll be posting the series here as I go through the editing process. I have 3 hours of video that I'll try to compress into about 15-20 minutes. We'll see how it goes.

(Related thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...129-tc33d-overheat-problem-2.html#post2814300)

Here's the first in the series:
[youtube_browser]2jsa_z8QTwY[/youtube_browser]

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #2  
Wow, nothing else better than being there to watch the repair, thanks for taking the time to edit and post the videos!

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #3  
nice vid BigE! Thanx!

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #4  
G'day great idea i'm sure it will help alot out there that will want/need to do a job like this at some stage. Don't want to sound picky but I noticed one of the bolt holes had coolant in it, if it was a blind hole then you should have blown it out as there have been instances of the fluid hyd locking and not giving you correct tension or worst case actually cracking the block:eek:.
Also I always reecomend the use of guide studs as then you can lower the head directly onto the gasket without poss damaging it by moving across the face ( yes I have been guilty of this too:eek:)
As I said not being picky just a few tips and great editing too:thumbsup:

Jon

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series
Good advice - Thanks! This is my first time digging this far into a tractor, and I guess it shows. :). Good to correct things I did wrong.

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #6  
How many hours on your engine? Have you any idea why the gasket went?

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series
Sorry, had to go on a last minute business trip. (Still on it, and forgot to bring the drive with the video so I could edit).

I have no idea how many hours are on the tractor. The hour meter was disconnected when I purchased the tractor. I re-connected it, and it now reads about 1250 hours.

Cause? When I first got the tractor, the oil pressure indicator lamp was disabled. When I fixed that, I found that the oil pressure lamp was lit. Further research found that the oil bypass valve was stuck open.

I suspect that the tractor wasn't getting enough oil cooling, which probably caused an overheat condition sometime in the past, and the head gasket was replaced (with the wrong head gasket).

The failure point on the head gasket this time was related to a hole in the gasket that wasn't being used. This was a weak point that eventually caused a blowout.

/ TC33D Head Gasket Replacement - Video series #8  
Thank you for answering. I a stickler for maintenance and preventive maintenance, so I had to ask.