Traction TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment"

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #1  

michael.white

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
The difflock on my TC30 has never worked since I bought it last summer - the lever would not go down, even if I put my weight on it. The linkage was fine and not bound up or frozen, and I even soaked the entry point into the transmission with a couple of break free type products, to no avail.

A couple days ago I was using the box blade on powdery, dry, rocky soil and the wheels would slip even in 4wd. So I started stomping on the difflock lever out of annoyance, and noticed that, if I really bore down on the lever, both rear wheels would grab. Success! Now all I needed was a lot stronger legs. But I kept at it, and at one point the difflock lever dropped to the floor. I released the lever, and the lever came back up. I stepped on the lever again, and it easily went to the floor while locking the rear tires! And the lever came back up when I took my foot off, and the rear differential was no longer locked.

Fixed - and my wife says swearing and beating on equipment never fixes anything.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #2  
Never listen to the wife about equipment repairs. Swearing fixes a lot of things. I use it all the time.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #3  
You know what they say......the only reason brute force doesn't work is because you haven't used enough of it!!

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #4  
If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #6  
Or with cnc equipment, cycle the power. I have "fixed" many machines like that.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #7  
Are you sure you don't just gently press down on the lever and when the parts all line up, the lever magically falls into place with very little effort?

I found turning the steering wheel a turn or two while inching forward was usually enough to make things match up and engage easily on my Boomer 30.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment"
Are you sure you don't just gently press down on the lever and when the parts all line up, the lever magically falls into place with very little effort?

I found turning the steering wheel a turn or two while inching forward was usually enough to make things match up and engage easily on my Boomer 30.

Pretty sure. I tries numerous times before, both while moving and while stationary. And now it works fine all the time. I'm guessing the previous owner never used it in his 11 years of ownership.

/ TC30 difflock "attitude adjustment" #9  
Do you realize that differential braking is the "poor man's diff-lock"? If a rear tire starts to spin, just press on that side's brake and torque will return to the non-moving wheel. That was the only way before tractors had differential locks.