Tc29 steering

/ Tc29 steering #1  

mopwr2004a

Tractor
New holland tc29
I did some wrk with my tractor and got on some rough terrain that bounced the tractor around pretty hard. And ended up with what looked like fluid from the steering reservoir. Now the steering is very hard and it sounds like the pump is growling and whining like it's low or out.
I take the cap off when the tractor is cold and it's full. Run tractor for about 15-20mins and reservoir still shows full.
could there be air in the system from bouncing around? If so how can I bleed the system.

/ Tc29 steering #2  
First thing to try is to raise the front axle off the ground, either with the loader or a jack and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock multiple times. While doing this, watch the rubber hose from the steering pump tank to the pump to see if it is collapsing. If it does, consider replacing the tank, which is also the filter. I would also replace the above hose and new fluid.

/ Tc29 steering
Is the smaller hose a return?
It goes in to the dash area somewhere

Attachments

• 20231119_103347.jpg
    20231119_103347.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 55
   / Tc29 steering #4  
The small hose is a bypass/return line from the power steering valve assembly at the bottom of the steering wheel. The filter/reservoir unscrews from that baseplate. There also is a drain plug on the baseplate.

/ Tc29 steering
The small hose is a bypass/return line from the power steering valve assembly at the bottom of the steering wheel. The filter/reservoir unscrews from that baseplate. There also is a drain plug on the baseplate.
Are either of these hoses pressurized?
The hoses appear to be high pressure hose but only have regular worm gear clamps.

/ Tc29 steering
First thing to try is to raise the front axle off the ground, either with the loader or a jack and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel lock to lock multiple times. While doing this, watch the rubber hose from the steering pump tank to the pump to see if it is collapsing. If it does, consider replacing the tank, which is also the filter. I would also replace the above hose and new fluid.
When I first checked the fluid level, you couldn't see any fluid in the reservoir. So I added fluid, started the tractor and when turning the wheel in both directions.
It started spraying fluid out of a weap hole that the filler cap has.
And the steering continued to make noise like low on fluid.

/ Tc29 steering #7  
The return line may have some pressure and the supply line to the pump is suction fed, but the fluid has to pass through the filter first. Again, if the suction line collapses due to inadequate fluid flow, consider a new filter.

/ Tc29 steering
The return line may have some pressure and the supply line to the pump is suction fed, but the fluid has to pass through the filter first. Again, if the suction line collapses due to inadequate fluid flow, consider a new filter.
I will replace the factory filter this time, but I will wrk on getting the materials to put a different and less expensive filtering system

/ Tc29 steering #9  
Actually, if you want to do away with the engine mounted reservour/filter, the later models of the TC series (TC34DA) have done so. The feed line from the tranny reservoir is "T" Ed and feeds both pumps. The steering return line is also T Ed into this junction. With parts # sba340550271 and sba340622500 and 2 pieces of hose it's done. Go to Messick^s website and explore the tc34da parts diagrams and above part #s and go from there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

/ Tc29 steering
Actually, if you want to do away with the engine mounted reservour/filter, the later models of the TC series (TC34DA) have done so. The feed line from the tranny reservoir is "T" Ed and feeds both pumps. The steering return line is also T Ed into this junction. With parts # sba340550271 and sba340622500 and 2 pieces of hose it's done. Go to Messick^s website and explore the tc34da parts diagrams and above part #s and go from there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Awesome, thanks for the info