TC21D overheating

/ TC21D overheating #1  

felixedo

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D / Deere 1026R / Bobcat CT2040
Hey guys-
I was mowing the other day for a couple of hours when I noticed that the temp gauge on my TC21D was at the top. I have no idea how long it was like that. I pulled the screen in front of the radiator and blew it out. The temp came down right away. But I saw that the temp started increasing fairly quickly after I started again. Maybe 20 minutes (tons of pollen in the air). I know the possibilities are head damage, primarily. But in your experience, are these little engines pretty tough to withstand that kind of abuse? What symptoms should I be looking for if I'm going to save this little machine?
Thanks

/ TC21D overheating #2  
We had a TC 21 and the same thing happened to it. Hosed out radiator and never had a problem.

/ TC21D overheating #3  
Whe you say the temp guage was at the top...if it was on H ,you could have done damage,those engines are very tough,but no engine is immune from overheating damage,especially small compact diesels,they do not take overheating well at all Cracked heads are the most common issues,and even if you put a new head on it it will likely have reduced power and oil consumption after that,because overheating removes some of the tension from the piston rings and combined with the scuffing of the piston skirts it just leads to blow by,oil leaks from high crankcase pressure, and oil consumption ....you may need to clean the radiator fins with a power washer,and do a flush to get sediment out if you've been neglecting the coolant....