Oil & Fuel TC 30 crankcase full of diesel

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #1  

krice TC30

Tractor
New Holland TC30
2005 New Holland TC30. New Holland told me today the tractor is JUST out of an EPA mandated warranty.

When I parked my TC30 3 weeks ago, everything was perfect. I changed the oil and filter, then did some dirt work for about 4 hours. Today, I had a flat on the front, so I was going to start it up so I could use the bucket to lift the front tire off the ground. The battery was low, So I moved the air filter back, and hooked up the jumper cables. After a few minutes, I cranked the tractor, used the bucket to raise the tire off the ground, when I noticed a puddle under the engine. I killed the engine, looking for the leak. The leak was coming out of a rubber tube coming off the top of the block. When I pulled the dipstick, black oily fuel was coming out of the dipstick tube.

In summary, 5 hours runtime since the oil was changed, with Rotella Synthetic 5-30. I used a small funnel, so I don't think I added oil too fast.(A problem Shade Tree Welder had)

The engine runs smooth, this also makes me doubt a stuck injector issue.

The temperature dropped to about 10 degrees between the time I parked a perfectly running tractor, and this issue. The coolant is good to -5 degrees, and the radiator is still full.

The air filter tube was kinked while jumpstarting, and remained so for the minute or so it ran. (My mistake, hope that wasn't the cause)

Since I didn't check the oil level before starting, (once again, dumb, but when the tractor has never been low, and I only needed it to run a minute, oh well,,,) I'm assuming the crankcase filled to overflowing within 60 seconds, and in my opinion, isn't a stuck open injector, but probably the VERY expensive "suitcase injection pump."

I can't find an injection pump except through NH, and they want over $700.00! for the pump itself. Does anyone have any ideas what else the problem may be, or know where the pump may be repaired?

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #2  
It may be a seal between the fuel system and the crankcase.

I seem to remember someone else with a similar problem on another Class II but all I could find was this thread.

Others may have more luck or information.

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel
According to the local dealer, they don't rebuild pumps, nor do they think a seal or gasket is the problem. I have to wonder if it's because selling and replacing a new pump makes them a lot more money than simply repairing.

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #4  
Have the injectors tested before you remove the injection pump. Might be a long shot, but one injector is much cheaper than a pump that isn't problematic.

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #5  
According to the local dealer, they don't rebuild pumps, nor do they think a seal or gasket is the problem. I have to wonder if it's because selling and replacing a new pump makes them a lot more money than simply repairing.

You're not alone. I couldn't find a dealer that doesn't just replace the pumps or send them out for rebuild. The tamper resistant hold down bolts on the injectors (forced into existence by the EPA) are the problem. Except for the fuel injection rebuild shops, no one wants to keep all of the different (and expensive) wrenches in their tool boxes. I had an injector leaking out of the top. If I could have located the correct wrench, I would have attempted the repair myself. A link to my thread here... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/225608-tc35-fuel-leak.html

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #6  
This might sound like a dumb question but, are you sure that the crankcase is full of diesel and not hydraulic fluid?
If your hydraulic pump seal was leaking it would also fill the crankcase.

I'm beginning to suspect the hydraulic pump seal, since the fuel gauge still shows full, and the hydraulic fluid is low. I'm taking a sample of the oil to a truck stop that does a $10 oil analysis. I'll update when I know more.

The still nagging question is, if it's hydraulic fluid, and not diesel, would it still be draining from the rubber tube coming off of the top of the block near the fuel pump?

To explain, the tractor is in the middle of a field, with no way to get my pickup and trailer near it so I can load it to TAKE it to a mechanic, and I'm scared to run it long enough to drive it to the road, so I'm going to have to take my toolboxes to the tractor with my riding mower and small trailer, and I'm not a mechanic! LOL, so yeah, I'm trying to eliminate all the other questions before I start taking it apart!

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #9  
Pull out the oil dipstick. Does it smell like diesel?

/ TC 30 crankcase full of diesel #10  
if the crankcase is overfull.. it does not matter if it is diesel, water , hyd oil or orn syrup. it has to run out of a breather somewhere when it is full enough.

if it is hyd oil.. and your hyd sump is low.. i'd be looking at a shaft seal.

plus i'd be looking to see if you didn't have a qd unplugged somewhere..