TC-25 Questions

/ TC-25 Questions #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
This is my second day with the TC-25 and have no experience with any of the Boomer series machines and no manual so I have some questions:

This is a 9x3 manual transmission.

On the right side on the floor in the back close to the trans is a pedal with a round head about 1.5" in diameter, looks to me to be a rear diff lock, but not sure.

Up in front of that is a pedal and a lever both with red pads on them, haven't what they are for and I see no markings which would help figure them out.

Today it was cool, about 50F, and i noticed it was harder to start than yesterday when it was about 75. Took a couple cranks about 10 seconds each and it finally started on the third try with about 1/4 throttle. When the ambient temp is above 60, where should i have the throttle when starting and i expect it should fire up first try in only a second or two. When it's cooler out say below 50 what can I expect for starting and should i be doing anything different. When do the glow plugs come on , temperature wise i mean. Is there a idiot light on the dash that will indicate the glow plugs are heating and go out when its ok to start?

I'm wondering if i have some air in the lines the way it is rough starting. It rained here today and i had no place to work on it inside so couldn't check for water in the seperator and bleed out any air that might be in the system.

/ TC-25 Questions #2  
On my tractor I turn the key to preheat and wait to the dash light goes out then turn to start. Hope this helps in some way.

/ TC-25 Questions
I didn't notice a key position marked preheat, there is Off, On, and Start. Looks to be the original keyswitch. I'll take a closer look next time I am over there, the tractor resides at a location other than my home so I can't run out and look.

Last edited:
   / TC-25 Questions #4  
I didn't notice a key position marked preheat, there is Off, On, and Start. Looks to be the original keyswitch. I'll take a closer look next time I am over there, the tractor resides at a location other than my home so I can't run out and look.

It is deisel, right.

/ TC-25 Questions
Yes, its a diesel. I think that was/is the only motor available isn't it?

/ TC-25 Questions #6  
Yes, its a diesel. I think that wwas/is the only motor available isn't it?

Don't know about engine but you should have a preheat.

/ TC-25 Questions #7  
Sparc, your tractor's instument panel has a light that illuminates when the glow plugs are on. It's highlighted in the photo below by the three red arrows pointing to the lower left corner of the panel.

TC25-InstrumentPnl.jpg

Also, your ignition switch is a 4-position switch as shown in the following diagram. The four positions are: OFF-RUN-GLOW-START. Probably what you did was to go beyond glow to start and never got your glow plugs powered.

TC25-IgnSwitch.jpg

Finally, you need to have a manual. You don't want to have to come here for simple operating questions that could be answered in an operator's manual. I don't know why people don't treat their manuals with respect and often lose them.:confused3:(Not you, but people in general) I've had my TC45D for over 12 years and refer to my manual all the time. It's as important to me as the seat.:thumbsup: You can buy a manual for less than $30. If you go to this website, you can order a paper manual or get one immediately in PDF format for around $26. All you have to do is enter "TC25" into the Model block and a whole list of manuals will appear. Scroll down until you see part number 86588004 and the abbreviation on the right side says "OM English." Be careful because some of the manuals listed are in Spanish or French. The number I gave you is for the English version and you can order that manual with that number from your NH dealer too. I highly recommend it. It makes using your tractor so much more pleasant and safe.

/ TC-25 Questions
Thanks Jim for your help. I already ordered a hardcopy manual last night, should be here in a couple days.
I stopped over this afternoon and I see that yes there is a position for preheat but I see you have to hold the key manually in that position and wait, then turn to crank. Started right up once I did that but I waited 20 seconds and never saw the light go out. I figured it should have gone out by then being its only 52F here this afternoon. I also looked at the pedal linkages and figured out what the two red pedals do. One is a foot throttle (my last tractor this pedal was green), and the other is the brake lock lever, whichstrangelyy you can't engage with your foot without coming in contact with the foot throttle.

Anyway soon I will have the manual, something I do for every piece of equipment I own if it does not come with one. for instance I just found an original manual on eBay for the Ford 2000 in excellent condition. Received the manual in the mail on 9/24, a few days later I don't own the tractor any more. I wasn't even thinking of selling it back on 9/24. Now I have a manual that I no longer need, and will pass it on to the new owner next time I see him along with some spare parts I had picked up for the old Ford.

/ TC-25 Questions #9  
Started right up once I did that but I waited 20 seconds and never saw the light go out. I figured it should have gone out by then being its only 52F here this afternoon. .
The larger models have a timer/relay for the glow plugs. My TC-18 does not have this, and the glow plugs are energized for what ever length of time you hold the key in that position. I would imagine the TC-25 is the same.

Guy.

/ TC-25 Questions #10  
The larger models have a timer/relay for the glow plugs. My TC-18 does not have this, and the glow plugs are energized for what ever length of time you hold the key in that position. I would imagine the TC-25 is the same.

Guy.

I think you are onto something Guy. The "D" deluxe HST models have a timer, but the gear models do not. I saw that when I was looking at parts diagrams.