Task Master JM 204a

/ Task Master JM 204a #1  

AL Hughes

Tractor
Task Master JM204a
I'm new to the forum, have had my Task Master since 2000 which I use to mow my orchard with a 60" brush hog and move snow with a 6' drag blade or a front loader. It has given good service other than the Pittman arm breaking several times. I finally had a local machinist fabricate a new one and have had no issues.
A few days ago I was attempting to mow some weeds for my neighbor but after the typical grinding when engaging the PTO, the shaft did not turn, I was like something had come unhooked inside the transmission. The lever moves from the dis-engaged position to the engaged position with little or no effort or resistance. Anybody have a similar issue or have any suggestions?

/ Task Master JM 204a #2  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our grey market section.

/ Task Master JM 204a #3  
Yeah, i've read in the past on the Chinese tractor section that the dog leg that engages the pto drive inside the transmission will break off or something due to the cheap chinese yellow metal used. There's a good chance that's it on yours too. Pull the top of the case off and look inside. That's your best bet. It's already broken what do you have to lose ?

Steve

/ Task Master JM 204a #4  
I'm new to the forum, have had my Task Master since 2000 which I use to mow my orchard with a 60" brush hog and move snow with a 6' drag blade or a front loader. It has given good service other than the Pittman arm breaking several times. I finally had a local machinist fabricate a new one and have had no issues.
A few days ago I was attempting to mow some weeds for my neighbor but after the typical grinding when engaging the PTO, the shaft did not turn, I was like something had come unhooked inside the transmission. The lever moves from the dis-engaged position to the engaged position with little or no effort or resistance. Anybody have a similar issue or have any suggestions?
Have you discovered the Chinese Tractor Forum here? I think Task Master was one of many brand names put on a single design, and the most common brand name for that design back then was Jinma. The guys in that forum will know more, and can recommend US dealers for Chinese parts.