Target under fire

/ Target under fire #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
Fox news tells us that Target was selling "Heil ******" encoded clothing until it was recognized by a consumer. The claim is the number "88" is a secret code of white supremists because H is the 8th letter in the alphabet and 88 = Heil ******.

So what do you think, should Target pull this line of clothing? Do you believe the creator of the clothing line intentionally duped them? Or is this a big misunderstanding.

Here's the full story: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,61622,00.html> Target story</A>

/ Target under fire #2  
I think this is as bogus and ridiculous as just about every other "hidden meaning" thing people "see." Yes, ANYTHING'S possible, but I find this dubious at best.

I suppose now we’ll have to outlaw the number "88" and prevent it from use in everyday life, after all, if you use it you MUST be a racist! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

I guess Dale Jarrett, Kermit, and Miss Piggy all must be affiliated with the Nazi party, along with the Dallas Cowboys Jackie Harris too, based on this specious logic!!! Next thing you know they'll be removing the number 13 from the elevators because it is "unlucky!" - oh - wait, they already did that..../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dalejarrett.com/catalog.asp?from=DaleJarrett>Questionable Souvineers?</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dallascowboys.com/cgi-bin/Cowboys/team_player_profile.jsp?name=Jackie+Harris>Him too???</A>

Come on folks, get a grip!

/ Target under fire #3  
Uh-oh. Everyone better go through and take out all the 88's in their "take a number" dispensers! Better take out the 11's too, that's the first letter in KKK. Target should also pay $1,000,000 to anyone who bought one of those items to compensate them for the pain they made them endure. Marvin Harrison of the Colts and anyone else with the number 88 must be in shock to realize he's been promoting the white supremists!

/ Target under fire #4  
Thanks Ranchman...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dallascowboys.com/cgi-bin/Cowboys/cheerleaders/home.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0831549679.1030642681@@@@&BV_EngineID=gadcfcifkjmdbedchecjcff.0>Now that's a beautiful website on the Dallas Cowboys...</A>/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Target under fire #5  
Oh, and anyone caught driving on I-88 (New York state) should be pulled over and cited for supporting the Nazi's!

The saddest part about this is how fast Target buckled under to this. It's just gets more and more ridiculous!

/ Target under fire #6  
For whatever little it's worth, I did know that for whatever reason the number 88 was somehow a favorite of skinheads, etc., but never knew why (and, quite frankly, didn't care enough to ask).

I'm not trying to make any point here other than saying that the 88 association with white supremecists is not anywhere near as new as this Target story.

Years ago I remember '13' being a biggie among couter-culture types. The reason was that "M" is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet and was used to symbolize marijuana.

Hey, don't gang up on the messenger here. I'm not making this up. I'm only reporting it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Target under fire #7  
I have news for you. Paul is dead and I am the Walrus. Did any of you spin your Abbey Road album backward to look for hidden messages? Hidden meanings mania, I guess it never ends.

My only question here is why does the Minnesota based firm lend credence to this fantasy when they could have spun the tale to tribute one of the own, HH Humphrey? Why didn't cooler heads prevail at Target and just label these nuts as psychos? I guess I will have to do the politcally correct thing and send my Delta "88" to the junkyard and then apologize in the local newspaper.

/ Target under fire #8  
Hey Green...number 9 number 9 number 9.
I luv polythene pam/you never give your money.................................................

/ Target under fire #9  
Green,
I am an ultra conservative Beatle fan...../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Target under fire #10  
Dale Jarrett - 88 - UPS!
Probably used to deliver the hats! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif