Tap brass oil

/ Tap brass oil #1  

Mike1955

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota
What kind of oil do I supposed to use to tap brass?

/ Tap brass oil #2  
Brass is soft enough that I've never used any lube for taping.
Maybe tell us more about you're doing?
Good Luck!

/ Tap brass oil
Thank you number two. A little about my task. I needed a knob for my shifter on my d2 cat crawler. My stick is three eights fine threads. I found the ideal knob but didn’t notice it was course threads until I went to install it. So today I bought a tap set at harbor freight and I hope I can run this fine thread tap in there and install this new knob on my shifter stick. And I’ll put some jb weld in there when I screw it on. I don’t know how well it will work, but I got the knob and need to try something. Got a better idea? Let me know

/ Tap brass oil #4  
For that I wouldn't worry about lube, brass is very nice to work with, your plan with JB weld will likely be necessary but should work fine for a shift knob...

/ Tap brass oil
Well I thank you for passing judgement on it. It’s either try something or just get another with proper threads. That thing is difficult to shift at times. We will see how well it serves the test of time. I’m improving the looks of this thing one step at a time and I love my dozer

/ Tap brass oil #6  
A coating of light oil (wd40, sewing machine oil, etc) is just as much for the tool. I like the sticks like tap ease and tap magic, a little less mess in the shop.

/ Tap brass oil #7  
I'm running your game plan through my head because I have never tried doing it. Is jb weld tuff enough to do the job and not crumble? If it fails, will the threads on the shifter be damaged?

It's worth a try and it just might work, but I think I would take the safe road and look for another knob.

/ Tap brass oil #8  
JB should hold, will likely stick to the shifter harder than the brass but worst case you would still be able to run a die down the threads on the shifter, I don't think it's "that" risky, there's going to be some void where there are threads that don't need to be there on the female side, the root diameter of fine threads is bigger than coarse threads so it is better than the other way... The "right" way to do this would be a helicoil type thread insert, but it's just a shifter, even some loctite (probably red but blue would likely be good enough) should be sufficient to hold it on for use

/ Tap brass oil #9  
Tap it and put it on with either locktite, teflon tape or gasket adhesive. It's a shifter knob, not a structural member, don't over analyze it. If it come loose, upgrade the adhesive.

/ Tap brass oil
I'm running your game plan through my head because I have never tried doing it. Is jb weld tuff enough to do the job and not crumble? If it fails, will the threads on the shifter be damaged?

It's worth a try and it just might work, but I think I would take the safe road and look for another knob.
Big tiller you are most likely right. Ones I seen on eBay are expensive by my standards, for a knob. The hole size for a 3/8 fine thread is 21/64 bit I don’t think I own one. That’s a 64th bigger than a 5/16 which is what I have. And I’m having a problem getting my harbor freight bottoming tap to start this work. So at this point I’m at a stand still
JB should hold, will likely stick to the shifter harder than the brass but worst case you would still be able to run a die down the threads on the shifter, I don't think it's "that" risky, there's going to be some void where there are threads that don't need to be there on the female side, the root diameter of fine threads is bigger than coarse threads so it is better than the other way... The "right" way to do this would be a helicoil type thread insert, but it's just a shifter, even some loctite (probably red but blue would likely be good enough) should be sufficient to hold it on for use
rangerfred it didn’t work like I thought. I only had a bottoming tap and it didn’t start yet due to the hole not hardly big enough. I can buy a knob for an Oliver tractor with the correct threads on eBay for five bucks and about that much shipping. I’m not in a hurry I just wanted it fixed So I’ll order it when I get settled tonight. One with the big Cat is 75 bucks. The one I have don’t have Cat on it either. Not many things work out as planned for me but they always work out. Thanks a million to all helpful posters