Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building?

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
My Grandpa and Great Grandpa built a trading post in SW Colorado... in the complete middle of nowhere, in about 1920's. Currently, it is on BLM ground. It is a dilapidated husk of Sandstone walls... but it still means alot to me. I remember by Grandpa telling me stories of his grandpa and he building it. One in particular, was taking their wagon up in the mountains, to find a tree long enough to serve as a ridgepole. they cut the pine down (I don't remember how long it was, but well over 30' I believe) took the wagon apart, so the back axle was under one end of the trunk, and put the front axle under the front of the trunk. And 'drove' the ridgepole back to the building. How only 2 people (one a young kid) were able to do it all and then hoist it to the top of the structure still baffles me. Especially when today, people call a carpenter to fix the molding in the living room.

Anyway, that is besides the point.

There is no real 'access' but there is a 2 wheel track about a mile away from it. When I was a kid, we drove to it, but that was back before environmental forces kept you off 'virgin ground'.

About 2 years ago, my dad, my wife, and I visited it and There were a few stones on which my Grandpa had scratched in his name and one on which my GGrandpa had scratched the date of final construction and his name as well.

The building is literally 4 partially standing walls of Sandstone quarried from the surrounding landscape, and a caved in roof of wood. It is surrounded by a TON of old tin cans (some lady apparently lived there after my Grandpa and his Dad left), and she literally threw the cans in a heap out the back door.

I suspect there is no more than 1/2 dozen people even know of its existence outside our family. It is probably 30 miles away from the closest maintained road.

Does anyone know the 'rules' for salvage from BLM ground? I'd like to take those 2 stones with my Grandpa/Great Grandpa's names. It wouldn't require any structural damage (more than is already there). The structure is not a landmark or anything... it is simply an old time structure left to decay.

Grandpas trading post.JPG

Last edited:
   / Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #2  
Take the rocks. As a taxpayer, you have my permission . I'm not sure of the regulations however a family treasure like that needs to stay in the family.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #3  
Just go get them. If it was a historical site, there would be a problem. Did they own the land initially? Were they squatting? If you ask, you will be denied.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #4  
Just go get them. If it was a historical site, there would be a problem. Did they own the land initially? Were they squatting? If you ask, you will be denied.

yup. better to ask forgiveness, and ask the mods to delete this whole post.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #5  
That's a great family story. I wonder what was the attraction out there at the time. It would be hard to finally abandon their effort after so much work.

We've been fishing a river system in Northern Ontario most years for about the last 40. It's 140 miles north of an end of the road mining town by float plane and ends up flowing into Hudson Bay. About every 5 years we'll see an Indian or another fisherman that portaged in from the north. So when I stumbled across a historical account of that area, it was hard to imagine that several hundred years ago, there was a trading post nearby. But why not, right on their interstate highway at the time.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #6  
I suggest also taking lots of pictures and writing up a description similar to what you posted here but more detail. You can make albums so that other family members will know the story in years to come.

About taking rocks, weæ±*e allowed to remove rocks from public land up to some amount that is more than your two rocks. Go get them now before they disappear.

In a refreshing case of non- bureaucratic behavior, I once asked for permission to remove some gravel from an abandoned quarry on public land. The response I got from the district office was that it痴 illegal to remove it but I壇 never get caught if I did.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #7  
Take the rocks! Never ask permission from the government. It痴 a rule.

Very nice structure, by the way!

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #8  
How did it become "BLM ground" if your Grandfather/Great Grandfather owned it, and built a structure there for years?.. it should be theirs!.. and now, the property of their descendants..

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #9  
I would take lots of pictures now and as others have said if you're able take the stones, etc. If you a place for it it could be made into something else, a stone wall, small building, etc.
I assume it's of no value to anyone else, it will never be restored but most likely torn down eventually.

/ Taking rock from BLM... actually part of my Grandpa's building? #10  
Rocks? What rocks? :confused3:

We are a land of cafeteria-style morals (myself included). Pick and choose the ones you can live with, but don't condem others that choose differently than you. ;) It's a society of laws, but sometimes we take them more like guidelines.

In the parks, they tell you, and I agree, that taking a rock or a plant or a bug doesn't seem like much. But if everyone takes a rock, or a plant, or a bug, there won't be any more rocks, plants or bugs in the future.

So, with that, is it really a rock? Or a piece of construction material, or a family momento that belongs to you, or have the rules of time, sales, ownership and abandonment superseded your right to claim? My guess is no one would blame you for wanting it. But if you got caught taking it, you might face some fines that a judge might be inclined to throw out, given the circumstances.

Heck, it might be completely legal. Check out this link and read up on collecting rocks on BLM land. Give them a call and ask about it, but don't give specifics.

Rockhounding | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT