Take it on the road?

/ Take it on the road? #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
Say you have a vehicle that's not inspected yet and it does not have a license plate. You are wrenching on it, but sometimes you just have to take it for a spin - like carburetor tuning.

What would you do? Get on the road and hope not to meat a cop? Or get on the road and hope the cop will be able to see your point?

Or not get on the road at all?

And yes, it is personal. The wife best of all had problem with me taking my new to me motorcycle on our rural road to check it out :) - the bike has a title, but that's all, no license plate, no safety inspection.

/ Take it on the road? #2  
Here's my guess :laughing: If you are within a half mile of your home address and you have a clean driving record, and explain you are getting it ready for the inspection, etc., you could get off with a warning. It would help if the PO was a fellow motorcycle enthusiast.
Dave.

/ Take it on the road? #3  
Do you have insurance on it? If so, I'd give a try - at least I would here in N.C. Just the other day they caught a fellow doing 128mph in a 45mph zone and he did'nt even go to jail - wrote him a speeding & careless/wreckless ticket and he drove off. It may have helped that his name was Kyle Busch. As for me, I probably would have had to go downtown.

Last edited:
   / Take it on the road? #4  
You could try an Eddie Haskel on him... you know try complementing him on how effecient local law enforcement is to have flagged you when you were only doing a first test run. Oh wait P...you probably don't know who Eddie haskel is... :laughing:

Maybe along the same lines not sure......but I got stopped for an out of date inspection tag on the way between the repair shop and the inspection center. I showed the cop my receipt and I was on my way..no ticket or warning.

/ Take it on the road? #5  
You could try an Eddie Haskel on him... you know try complementing him on how effecient local law enforcement is to have flagged you when you were only doing a first test run. Oh wait P...you probably don't know who Eddie haskel is... .

But the Question is, What would Wally and the Beaver do ?:laughing:

I would take it out for a short spin, but i live out in the country, I could go for a 10 mile ride before i get to the 1st stop sign..... not a lot of cops just out looking for a reason to write a ticket.

/ Take it on the road? #6  
Mine normally have the legal requirements when I'm doing test runs. Last time it didn't, I was getting a Dodge Dakota ready for the road and did test runs on private property. I'll be getting a car (expired inspection, no tags, no insurance) ready to sell sometime in the next few weeks and I'll do the same.

If you don't have a good location to do this, I would suggest - don't do the testing where you're less likely to run into law enforcement, rather do the testing where you're less likely to run into other people altogether. A ticket is nothing compared to someone getting hurt because something went wrong. If you did run into law enforcement, you could point out that yes you know its not legal, but you did pick a time/location so that nobody else was around for safety reasons. Might make a difference, might not - your attitude would probably be the biggest factor (next to the illegal act itself, of course).

Keith

/ Take it on the road?
I figured if I drive in front of our property, I would be able to get away with a warning.

Still, too much risk, I don't have motorcycle license for Virginia, only Czech and International :D

/ Take it on the road? #8  
I figured if I drive in front of our property, I would be able to get away with a warning.

Still, too much risk, I don't have motorcycle license for Virginia, only Czech and International :D

I was just going to say, if you have the proper motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license, I would do it. Without the endorsement I would not take a chance (well maybe in my younger days).
A police officer may be sympathetic to a certain point, but if you don't have the proper license you are most likely going to get the book thrown at you.

Good choice on your part.

/ Take it on the road? #9  
In my misguided youth I wouldn't even consider stopping for a cop when riding my bike. I even went as far as wiring the bike so when I killed the headlight the brake lights didn't work either. Not saying it was right but I had a lot of fun running them!!

/ Take it on the road?
Hehe, I wonder what would Bird do, back in his days:)

This Czech guy in PA I know, used to have a tuning shop for fancy cars. Once he was messing with some masse/ferrari or whatnot and to check it out he just hopped in the car and pedal to the medal - tore it hundred plus on a country highway.

Well, he got pulled over and the PA cop says: "What should I do with you now?"

And my friend says: "Just take me to the ditch and shoot me."

The cop got bit of a shock - sir we don't do this in our country - and they started talking, cop was a gear head too and they got along quite nicely, thank you very much. It was just verbal, nothing more.